• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

results request

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They normally go in the direction you shoot it.
Need more information, on what your asking.

I have a traditions deerhunter and I shoot both ball and bullet and I do a lot better with a ball and patch then I do with a bullet at 25& 50 yards I can hit in the black if I go to 100 yards I hit in the outer black with ball and I have no idea were the bullets go thats is using 60 grains of powder.

Years ago, with my Thompson Center, I shot both rb and bullet. Had to work up loads for each and re-sight in for each. Finally, just used the prb, as it's easier to load. Hope this helps.

it is a 1:48 twist tingle rifle i plan to use black powder once i work a charge up. I plan on hunting out to 75-80 yards. Not sure what else you would need form me to tell me your experience with the conical and round ball.

Andy

The thing is, 20 guys/gals can tell you what they've done with their rifles and it still won't tell you what your rifle is going to do.

I know for a fact that shooters on the forum have shot 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards, many shooting patched roundballs and a lot shooting slugs.

Likewise, I know there are some people who haven't figured out the best ball/patch/bullet/powder/lube/load combination and their guns can't hold a 6 inch group at 50 yards.

There are some shooters here who can hold a 1/2" group shooting offhand at 50 yards and others who can't hold a 3 inch group at 50 yards shooting off a bench rest with perfect powder/ball loads in their guns.

You probably won't hear from many other Tingle shooters because the guns didn't sell in large numbers so there aren't that many out there.
It should shoot as well as the members guns so even though they aren't shooting a Tingle, their stories do count.

Tingle built his guns to give above average accuracy and if your gun is in good condition it should shoot very well.

What you need to do is to do a lot of shooting with whatever projectile you want to use.
That's the only way to really find out how accurate the gun and you are.

F&B, I don't have a Tingle...I did once but a few weeks of therapy and it went away... :haha: sorry, couldn't help myself.

Zonie is spot on here; I have a 58 musketoon w/ 1/48" twist and almost everyone here had a different idea how to make it shoot, and Im sure they were all correct...for THEIR GUN!

I haven't gotten prb's to group...yet, but plan on doing more work with them. Mine seems to like heavy snug minie balls and 3Fg powder.

I've tried 2 types of minies, prb's, REAL conicals, and T/C maxiballs.

I think a relatively fast twist like 1/48 needs a heavy bullet at moderate speed, or a prb at slower speed, but that's what I think.

Good luck and have fun,
Eterry

sorry for the snarky remarks. I am just wondering what others are getting out of their 1:48's. I am very appreciative of the remarks and replies. I will probably stay with round balls only due to it is what i am used too. I have a lot of load development ahead of me i know, but that is part of the fun. HEHE. Once again thank you guys for all of your input and advice. I can't wait to get started when it warms up.

Andy

The 1:48 twist is quite suitable for either round ball or conical. But that said the depth of rifling plays a part too. A conical will preform better in shallower rifling (less than .010), and a round ball will be superior in deeper rifling (.010 to .015 or more).
Also using conicals with a deeper rifling you have the potential for lead fouled rifling, especially with stouter charges. And even worse, plastic fouling from sabots.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Im betting the bullets are hittin so low they are not on paper. Get a spoter (u cant see through the smoke) and shoot into a birm which will show some dust flying. Heavy bullets drop like a rock at prb site in at a 100yd

fire-n-brimstone said:
it is a 1:48 twist tingle rifle i plan to use black powder once i work a charge up. I plan on hunting out to 75-80 yards. Not sure what else you would need form me to tell me your experience with the conical and round ball.

Andy

What's the caliber and what are you planning to hunt? Is the rifling deep or shallow?

That being said, it gets back to practice and trying things. Your rifle should shoot a patched round ball quite well, certainly suitable accuracy for hunting. Conicals will likely work, but prb will likely be the final choice.

The best process to wring the best accuracy from your rifle is Dutch Schoultz's Black Powder Accuracy. Dutch is a member here and others have posted a link to his site.

Hello, I'm brand new here and still learning the ropes but I will tell you about my experience with 1:48. I have on in a 50 cal. Traditions Hawken. It was my first flintlock and got me into the game. I have shot my best 50 yard group with this gun and it is the cheapest one I own. In fact I have since built a couple round ball only rifles and almost sold the Traditions but couldn't bring myself to let her go because it shoots conicals so well. I shoot the 370 grain TC maxi ball with 90grn of 2f and a .490 round ball with 70 grn. of 2f. It shoots the conicals a little better than the round balls but it will shoot a ball quite well at around 2" at 50 yards which isn't bad in my mind for a in between twist.

azmntman said:
Im betting the bullets are hittin so low they are not on paper. Get a spoter (u cant see through the smoke) and shoot into a birm which will show some dust flying. Heavy bullets drop like a rock at prb site in at a 100yd

Unsure just what you are referring to here?? :idunno:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

My .50 New Englander is 1:48" twist. On a good day i can shoot 1.50" five shot groups at 78 yards using patched round ball and 3F Pinnacle: Never having to swab once.

My patch lube is GoJo hand cleaner.

He said he had no idea where the bullets were going at 100 yds? I believe they shootin low and if he has a buddy sot for him they can tell if shot into side of a hill that produces a bit of dust when the bullet hits.

I've had two rifles with 1:48 twist. My (starter) Lyman Trade Rifle (never stop regretting getting rid of that - was a sweeeeet gun) and a self-built Hawken half-stock with a custom barrel from Oregon Barrel.

Both shot round-ball well out to my "zero" range of 75 yards.

Both also shot Ball-ete's from Buffalo (before they went bye-bye) exceptionally well and then Hornady Pennsylvania Conicals (which gave me the absolute best groups for anything other than round ball).

Never had great luck with "longer" conicals and the trajectory looked more like a rainbow (trying to "lob" 385+ grains of lead with anything less than a shoulder numbing charge of powder makes no "practical" sense to me, so I gave up shooting them).

If you want to try conicals, that's what YOU have to do - try them in your rifle. Some may work OK, some may shoot with a pattern like buckshot and in the end, once you have satisfied yourself, like most shooters, you will probably return to the roundball.

Although I will say, if I'm hunting deer with my 50 cal (rare - only when on unfamiliar ground and will be shooting at an unknown range up to 75 yards - my max), I load nothing but the PA Conicals from Hornady - they are only about 40'ish grains more than a round ball, don't need a patch but give the same "thump" as a 54 cal - so useful in "unknown" conditions.

I see, you were responding to something "JimK" said. From the heading I got the impression you thought I had made such a comment.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

The quickest fix for not hitting the target paper is to move up to a 13 yard distance. This will usually help you figure out where the rounds are going and is much easier to adjust to what you want. The ball or conical will still be climbing in it's trajectory curve, so figuring a ball at about 2000 fps or a conical at about 1500 fps velocity, you'll see roughly a flight that's predictable and easy to adjust. In this particular circumstance, if you sight the ball or conical to be center target at 13 yards, it'll be about +1" at 50 yards; -1" at 100 yards and -6" at 125 yards. These figures can vary depending on caliber, velocity and bullet configuration but are close enough to get you started. When you find the most accurate load, adjust sights to match.

fire-n-brimstone said:

Andy

Caliber also is needed for the equation. A larger caliber needs less twist than an smaller caliber does to stabilize a conical.

In my Tc Hawken rifles I have had very good luck with the following: 54 cal, 90 grains of triple seven 2f with patched round ball, 50 Cal: 90 grains of triple seven 2f, ox-yoke felt wad, and Hornady 385 grain Great Plains bullet, 45 Cal: 70 grains of Triple seven 2F & patched round ball.

Back