• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Renegade barrel question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Ross

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a brand new unfired 54cal Renegade barrel, on it there is a screw "I" have never seen on any Renegade barrel. This screw is on the top flat of the breech plug, in the center of the flat, the center of the screw is 1/8" forward of the line formed where the breech plug mates up with the stock lug. It appears to be about the size of a screw used to fill the holes in a barrel where a scope could be mounted. Anybody have ANY idea what this screw would be there for? DANNY

That's a good question, I bought a used one in 50 over the summer that has the same thing. I was thinking it may have been to mount some sort of optics. Anybody have any information on this?

Yup, newer factory barrels had that added for a scope mount option.
They are common enough to be just ignored by most folks.

T/C used the rear sight holes & the hole on top of the breechplug for the factory scope mount so's ya don't hafta drill any potentially weakenin' holes in yer barrel for mountin' a scope. they also at one time had a small mount that used just the rear sight holes to mount a long eye-relief scope.

Yes, I agree it is for a scope mount. TC made a long scope mount, that used the two holes in the rear sight, and the one extra hole, that you have described.

Thanks everyone. I thought it looked factory installed, but I couldn't figure out why just a single hole. Sounds like they hand their own scope rail. Well as long as I own it it will never see a scope :nono: . Besides round balls, don't need no stinkin scope. They go where they are supposed to when you pull the trigger, with your eyes closed, wit a 70mph cross wind, at night, wit clouds, and a new moon :rotf: .

Latest posts

Back