• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remember this Davy Crockett movie scene?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great boyhood memory, but watching now there is so much wrong from the rifles having no recoil, to loading from the horn, to the lead balls stacked in the cardboard target, and jee whiz the coon skin hats look mighty warm for that environment.

I do remember as a kid wondering why the targets weren't round / circular "bulls eyes", was that shape/style a thing back then ?

The turkey shoot in the movie Seargent York is realy good with Gary Cooper.

They have a shoot like the DC shoot in the Hawkeye tv series as well, very similar but it ends with shooting two tossed potatoes into the air and using two different rifles to get them both in the air, Hawkeye won of course.

Have to keep in mind it was meant to be entertainment, not a documentary. I remember Fess Parker saying that he and Mike Mazurki, the actor portraying Bigfoot Mason, were both big guys and the stuntman Disney had hired for the film was a lot smaller. As a result Fess and Mike had to do a lot of their own stunts and got pretty well beat up in the process.

As a five year old, the Davy Crockett craze that took over the country was the smoldering ember that became the spark that started my love for muzzleloading. I really don't care just how inaccurate those films were, I enjoyed them back then and still do today when I feel that need for a touch of nostalgia.

Latest posts

Back