• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reloading in the Field, then and now

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don hepler

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I am interested to know how to reload in the field, when hunting. Premeasured containers or what? I am new to smoothbores, and I have never fired one. But, I ran upon an Armisport barrel, in 20 ga. and made it fit my, Renegade. Loads, tips, advice.........needed.

I do not have any solid load recommendations, you didn't say what you plan on shooting.
In the field I carry a small amount of powder and a measure. Never load directly from your powder magazine, even if it is just a small amount. If it is allot and you have a flash you are going to get hurt. Even if it is a small amount of powder in a small container you will probably take a small burn if it flashes and you are out of your powder in the field. Thus a measure is the wise course of action.

I would like to know how much work did it take to fit that barrel and stock together?

If you're going for period correct, as far as my limited knowledge goes, premeasured charges would have been held in paper cartridges, but those were mostly for military use. For hunting, I think the most common method was pouring from a powder horn into a measure, then dumping the measured charge down the barrel.

I don't get overly concerned with being perfectly historically accurate when I'm hunting. I carry 2-3 premeasured charges in little plastic containers. I also carry a small horn and a measure, although I've rarely needed for hunting deer.

Since you have traded your rifled barrel for a smooth bore, I assume your question is about shot charges. You did not say what the gage is, but 12ga and 29ga are the most common, using shot loads of 1/2oz to 1 1/2oz of shot. The traditional method is to use the same volume of powder and shot, using the same measure. I carry my powder in a horn, and my shot in a small leather bag, holding about one pound of shot. Others may prefer a shot bag with a spout. I load the powder, followed by an over powder, OP, card, a 1/2" fiber cushion wad, cut in half, and an over shot, OS, card, and an inline capper, caps the nipples. Keep yer powder dry.....Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
For shot loads, I carry three plastic tubes that have the powder charge in one end and the shot load in the other. I use lubed felt overpowder wads and thin cardboard overshot cards and use a pouch that has two small pockets right in front I can quickly reach that those two items go in (the lubed wads are in a small plastic bag in the pocket.) With this system I can very quickly reload for small game.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/153/1

I don't think you'll find "factory made" speedloaders if you're using that 20 gauge with roundballs, but you can make your own. Following Rifleman's design, I built an antler speed loader that carries a powder charge and one patched roundball.

I also carry a small powder flask or horn as well as one of Cutfinger's Turtle shot/ball "bags" for "backups."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hadden West
When im squirrel huntin I always carry a horn ,a strip of greased patch tied to the pouch strap,and cut at the muzzle.
When deer huntin I do the same only i have 3or4 pre measured charges of powder and a loadin block handy just in case they are needed.Trust me on this there will come a time when you need a quick 2nd shot and it will be the difference between meat on the table or a bologna samwhich.Curt

With rifles and for RB in smoothbores I use a loading block and a powder horn with a measure. For shot, I use a shot flask with a separate measure or with an attached Irish measure.

I've tried the various premeasure schemes for both shot and powder, and just don't find them any faster unless I'm tossing the empty container on the ground. By the time I find the container in my bag or pocket, position it in my hand, decap, pour, recap and put it away, I could just as well have used a horn or flask and measure.

In response to how much work it took to put the Armisport barrel on the Renegade. With the lock off, the barrel hook fit, and the barrel laid in the stock perfect. The wedge would not go thru, so I noticed the slot was off center. I simply drove the,(dovetailed) barrel tenon out and rotated 180 degrees and the wedge fit perfect. But the snail was not cut to fit over the edge of the lock plate. After several measurements of a GM barrel, they appeared to be nearly identical. I milled the same cut into the Arimsport snail(of the breech plug), and it dropped right in. Only a tiny amount of metal was removed. The barrel is jug choked, so I will only use shot, for small game.

I guess I should have been a little more specific as to what I intended to use the gun for. I shoot, flintlocks, caplocks, pistols but never had a smooth bore. I would use it for small game, and shot loads only. I did see the plastic tubes, with two compartments, at Sportman's Warehouse. However with powder, wads, shot, OP cards, it seems like a follow up shot would take a considerable amount of time. But, I'm putting the horse ahead of the carriage, because I haven't even shot it, yet. The weather has been so bad, to go to the range, and on the good days, I'm trying to squeeze in some more deer hunting.

I carry a tin of wads and a powder horn and a seperate shot bag.

HPIM2568.jpg

HPIM1204.jpg

HPIM1205.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

I use a seperate measure for shot (the stopper in the shot pouch) as I like a little more lead by volume than powder.

For my 16 bore: 70 gr FFg, 1/8" over powder wad, 1/2" fiber wad rolled in beeswax, 1-1/4 oz shot, 0.010" over shot wad.

hadden west said:
I did see the plastic tubes, with two compartments, at Sportman's Warehouse. However with powder, wads, shot, OP cards, it seems like a follow up shot would take a considerable amount of time.

One thing I have thought of that would be "quick" if it worked is a simple single tube of the proper inside diameter loaded as follows. Bottom end of tube corked. Push your wad all the way down. Put in your shot. Put your overshot card in. Put your powder in on top of that. Cork the top end.

Now, when you go to use it. Uncork the top and pour your powder down the barrel. Uncork the bottom and use the long end of a short starter to shove the whole works into the barrel. Finish ramming down with your ramrod.

I haven't tried this yet, but have been noodling on it. :idunno:

Stumpkiller, you are well organized. I appreciate all the ideas. Kinda getting the whole thing, organized, in my mind. Now to get to the range, and try some. I cut some shotgun shells open to get some shot. I put it in old prescription bottles, and labeled them. A friend give me a new bag of plastic buffer. Something else to try, I guess. I'll have to order some things, because no locals have any supplies.

Thanks to all.

Latest posts

Back