• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rebore questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckyjed

.45, .50, .62 cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a really old French flintlock smoothbore/fowler type tapered barrel with a flat filed across the top ( neat old barrel) that is around 36 inches long. It has the typical rust in and on barrel so I soaked it in Evapo-rust for several days and it worked out nice, I got the breech plug out and found a rust ring where something was left over the years and thought rebore possibly. The barrel mics out at .580. I was thinking about getting a rebore to .615 , there is plenty of meat on the breech end but the muzzle end wall thickness is.059. My question is: would this be feasible and also what would be the best way of contacting Mr. Hoyt (phone, email, letter in the mail with pics?) to get a ballpark figure on the cost. I have about $70 in this barrel at the moment. Or should I just hone the barrel and go with the 24 gauge that it is. The only reason I was thinking boring it out was to clean up the bore plus have a 20 gauge.
Any help is graciously accepted and appreciated.
Thanks,
BZ

Last edited:
It's getting thin at the muzzle.
I'd just polish it and go shoot 👍🏻
I’d ream it till the pits are gone. I have no experience in honing but some swear by it. I’d worry about keeping the bore uniform with honing. I use adjustable reamers and the barrels look like new when done.

I’d ream it till the pits are gone. I have no experience in honing but some swear by it. I’d worry about keeping the bore uniform with honing. I use adjustable reamers and the barrels look like new when done.
Thanks , what kind of adjustable reamers might you be talking about?

I did acquire some 80 grit and 220 grit lapping compound and thought about rigging up a slotted dowel with some crocus paper folded and slid in the slot then dipped in the lapping compound and either hand lapping or using a drill slowly.

Was planning on using this barrel for a fowler type project maybe work it into a fusil de chasse styled stock. It would be more like a fusil carbine with the short barrel.

Thanks , what kind of adjustable reamers might you be talking about?
IMG_1390.jpeg

You can see the reamers come in ranges. I get square tubing that fits the square end of the reamer. Then turn the square tubing by hand with a piece of wood that just fits over the square tubing. I use cutting oil. I put the barrel in one bench vise and in another I have a board with a hole drilled that just allows the square tubing to rotate. This aligns the reamer with the bore. From time to time I adjust the reamer bit by bit. Clean and inspect.
IMG_1392.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 271055
You can see the reamers come in ranges. I get square tubing that fits the square end of the reamer. Then turn the square tubing by hand with a piece of wood that flips over the square tubing. I use cutting oil. I put the barrel in one bench vise and in another I have a board with a hole drilled that just allows the square tubing to rotate. This aligns the teamer with the bore. From time to time I adjust the reamer bit by bit. Clean and inspect.View attachment 271058
I like that plan, might just try it. Thanks for the info.

I picked up a really old French flintlock smoothbore/fowler type tapered barrel with a flat filed across the top ( neat old barrel) that is around 36 inches long. It has the typical rust in and on barrel so I soaked it in Evapo-rust for several days and it worked out nice, I got the breech plug out and found a rust ring where something was left over the years and thought rebore possibly. The barrel mics out at .580. I was thinking about getting a rebore to .615 , there is plenty of meat on the breech end but the muzzle end wall thickness is.059. My question is: would this be feasible and also what would be the best way of contacting Mr. Hoyt (phone, email, letter in the mail with pics?) to get a ballpark figure on the cost. I have about $70 in this barrel at the moment. Or should I just hone the barrel and go with the 24 gauge that it is. The only reason I was thinking boring it out was to clean up the bore plus have a 20 gauge.
Any help is graciously accepted and appreciated.
Thanks,
BZ
Is Evapo-Rust the same stuff as Naval Jelly?

Latest posts

Back