• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebore question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckyjed

.45, .50, .62 cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Moved this question over from the Smoothbore section.
Today at 8:48 AM
I picked up a really old French flintlock smoothbore/fowler type tapered barrel with a flat filed across the top ( neat old barrel) that is around 36 inches long. It has the typical rust in and on barrel so I soaked it in Evapo-rust for several days and it worked out nice, I got the breech plug out and found a rust ring where something was left over the years and thought rebore possibly. The barrel mics out at .580. I was thinking about getting a rebore to .615 , there is plenty of meat on the breech end but the muzzle end wall thickness is.059. My question is: would this be feasible and also what would be the best way of contacting Mr. Hoyt (phone, email, letter in the mail with pics?) to get a ballpark figure on the cost. I have about $70 in this barrel at the moment. Or should I just hone the barrel and go with the 24 gauge that it is. The only reason I was thinking boring it out was to clean up the bore plus have a 20 gauge.
Any help is graciously accepted and appreciated.
Thanks,
BZ

I’d ream it till it’s clean and shoot it. I use adjustable reamers. There’s not enough extra meat at the muzzle to significantly increase the bore. It would have a knife edge.

Than
I don't know what reaming a barrel will cost, probably less than a rebore and rifling cost me, $140 the last time I had Mr. Hoyt do one for me. Factor in shipping both ways and you will have over $200 in an old barrel.
Yep, I am kind of thinking the same thing, deal with what I have (hone/scrub out and use as is and buy a new barrel and be done.
Thanks for the input.

I don't know what reaming a barrel will cost, probably less than a rebore and rifling cost me, $140 the last time I had Mr. Hoyt do one for me. Factor in shipping both ways and you will have over $200 in an old barrel.
Same story with getting a barrel inlet in a stock blank nowadays. 4 weeks and at least $200 with shipping and shipping anxiety. I’ll do it myself, thanks.

Latest posts

Back