• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebarrel/restore original '63 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scroggwe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm kinda in a dilema here. I can't decide what to do. I have an original 1863 Springfield that I bought about 25 years ago for $10.00. This musket is one of those Francis Bannerman specials, where they cut off the forearm, shortened the barrel to 33" and bored it out to a shotgun.

I am in the process of restoring this musket back to original. I have a friend who is going to replace the forestock for me. I am buying and collecting the missing metal parts (barrel bands, nosecap, '63 hammer, mainspring etc.)

I have found a company called Whitacre's Machine Shop who makes reproduction barrels for Civil War muskets. An 1863 barrel, complete with breech plug and nipple is $325.00. That is not including the sights. This same shop will line and stretch the original barrel for $250.00.

This line and stretch process envolves taking a 40" carbon steel rod and machining down the part that goes inside the original barrel. My musket has been cut down to 33". So he would machine 33" of this 40" rod and insert this machined 33" into the original barrel, leaving 7" sticking out, for a total length of 40" (which was the original length of the barrel). He then welds the seam between the original barrel and the 7" that is sticking out. He dresses up the weld so it doesn't show and then bores and rifles the liner to .58 caliber.

My question is, is this a good safe repair? Several years ago I read an article by Joe Bilby that said it was a good repair and is safe to shoot. Is this repair worth the cost or should I go with the repro barrel? I am trying to keep this musket as original as possible. It is still always going to be a parts gun, but I would like to be able to shoot it.

Anybody have any experience with this type of restoration or this company? Opinions?

Here is a link to their website [url] http://www.edsmart.com/whitacre[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bill -

Anything Whitacre's does is quality, and safe. Don't know how many of his barrels, relines, etc. are in use in N-SSA, but there are a bunch - never heard of any problems with any. For more input on what you're doing, go to the N-SSA bb and post your question - you'll get plenty of feedback and suggestions from people who really enjoy shooting guns like yours -

M

They do a good job, indeed. One alternative would
be to keep an eye on eBay for a full length barrel. I've seen a number of them over the last few years. You'd probably still have to have it lined. Actually, eBay usually has a number of '63
parts listed. I generally use"all categories" and type in musket.

Yeah Duane, thanks. I already do that. I have gotten several good deals on '63 Springfield parts from ebay over the last couple of months. I have been watching ebay for a couple of months now for original barrels. All that I have seen were cut-down shotgun barrels just like I have. I actually have two cut-down barrels, a '63 and a '61. The '61 barrel that I have is actually an inch longer (34") and is in better shape (actually it is in very good condition, except for some very minor surface rust). I would use it, but it doesn't fit the '63 hammer and lockplate that I have.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if my lockplate is for a '61 or a '63. It is dated 1863, but could probably be either. How do you tell the difference in the two lockplates? I assumed it was a '63, because the barrel that came with it is a '63. It didn't have a hammer when I bought it and I bought an original '63 hammer for it.

Bill - If you are going to pursue putting guns of this era together you are probably going to want to get in the N-SSA "loop" for parts and advice. Read through some of the posts on the BB over there.

You'll also start finding suppliers there that cater to your needs (such as S&S and Lodgewood - both excellent places to get original barrels and other parts that are actually what they say they are :grin: ), since rebuilding original CW guns for competition is done on a regular basis in that hobby.

Good luck - let us know how it turns out... better yet, find a team and join us on the line at Ft. Shenendoah! :thumbsup:

M

Bill --

According to Flayderman's, the 1861 rifled muskets were dated either 1861 or 1862 on the lockplates. If it's dated 1863, it's a '63, or so the book says.

If you're interested in antique firearms, "Flayderman's Guide To Antique American Firearms -- And Their Values" is usually available in Barnes & Noble bookstores, and can be ordered via the B&N or Amazon websites. Not only the current prices for original guns, but fairly comprehensive descriptions of the major variations of different guns (and the oft-made suggestion to research further, with a list of recommended sources), make this an excellent starting point for anyone with an interest in this field.

Latest posts

Back