• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Springfield Restoration Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a restored 1861 Springfield. I'm not sure exactly what had been done, because I'm not real familiar with the sporterization variations that these guns underwent. The original stock was cut, and was restored to full size (joined new forestock) by the previous owner. He seems to have done a nice job. The barrel was not shortened. The lock, barrel, and trigger assembly are original, and period correct sights were added. The bore is in very good shape with good rifling and only minor pitting.

There is a notch on the underside of the barrel. I'm assuming this is where something was added in the sporterizing process to help secure the barrel to the shortened stock, or maybe to hold a ramrod? I'd appreciate any thoughts that you all can provide.

Thanks.
IMG_20230319_140922163.jpg
IMG_20230319_140926932.jpg
IMG_20230319_131434_01.jpg
IMG_20230319_132330437.jpg
IMG_20230319_132321292.jpg

Attachments

• 20230319132018.jpg
    20230319132018.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0
Generally a notch in the underside of the barrel is to mount a lug to allow a pin to be used to secure the barrel to the stock. Your model of Spring field does not require this lug but maybe an older barrel was used at the Springfield factory to pump out as many Civil War weapons as possible.

All the US barrels (muskets, rifle muskets & rifles) were secured by bands. The dovetail was done when the gun was modified after it left service. The dovetail is not a safety issue nor is it visible, just ignore it.

All the US barrels (muskets, rifle muskets & rifles) were secured by bands. The dovetail was done when the gun was modified after it left service. The dovetail is not a safety issue nor is it visible, just ignore it.
Agree. Not a safety issue or any issue for that matter. I was just curious. My best guess was a tube installed to hold the cleaning rod when the forestock was cut.

Latest posts

Back