• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range/shooting boxes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodse guy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I need some pictures of your range boxes I'm thinking of building me one. Shooting out of my bag while testing a load is starting to get old I would like a box to help me keep everything organized.

Many people just getting started like the simple plastic fishing tackle boxes. Once you get heavily into the game, fancy wooden boxes become common. The main thing you will want is a box that won't tip over, is easy to carry, and opens to allow you easy access to your components. :idunno:

I picked up two different sizes big and small Plano tool boxes from Walmart. Click on the "big awesome boxes" on the menu that open with the following link.
http://www.planomolding.com/toolboxes/toolbox-products-2/

I like that these boxes are very wide. The smaller 16" box I take to the range I carry stuff for the immediate needs for the rifle I'm currently shooting. The larger 22" box I leave at home it is just for storage space for extra stuff, more patches, solvents oils, wax.....

The boxes are working out very well for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im using a Craftsman 16 1/4 tool organizer box.
It has 2 removable tote trays , 2 clear compartments on the top. It is the best tool box Ive ever used for shooting at the range. It was only 25 bucks.
It has plenty of room and divided storage.
Im getting a couple more for my ohter shooting interests.

It sounds small but I cant believe how much stuff I have in it.
2 lbs powder 2 boxes lead roundballs
assorted tools
patches,spray bottle with ballistol mix,stapler
powder measures ,flasks, jags,you name it, and it fits easily.
The removable trays are locked down on the 9 inch deep base.
It doesent sound big but it has over 1300 cubic inches of storage.
Look at one when your in Sears

or http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00959307000P
Item# 00959307000 Mfr. Model# 59307

Woodse,
If you want a really top notch range box at a reasonable cost, contact Mike Medjeski at [email protected]. he builds boxs for a lot of chunk gun shooters as well as some other items that are useful on the range. I have one of his boxs and one of his loading stands and love them. Ask him for some pictures, you'll be impressed.
Mark :thumbsup:

ohio ramrod said:
Many people just getting started like the simple plastic fishing tackle boxes. Once you get heavily into the game, fancy wooden boxes become common. The main thing you will want is a box that won't tip over, is easy to carry, and opens to allow you easy access to your components. :idunno:

AND has a latch and hinges that won't open accidentally or under a heavy load.

woodse guy said:
Shooting out of my bag while testing a load is starting to get old I would like a box to help me keep everything organized.

I'm with you. By nature I'm just not a range rat. While I always shoot out my bag for practice, when it comes to load development (and especially sight adjustment and other gun tuning), the bag just doesn't cut it.

I actually have two "range" boxes. The most important is a general gun tool kit. It has everything I need from screw drivers to wrenches and from cleaning gear to files for some pretty serious gun work. I use it both for muzzleloaders and modern guns, and it's in the truck any time I go to the range.

The other box is dedicated to muzzleloaders and has a full array of rod accessories and dedicated muzzleloading tools, several varieties of powder, balls in every size I own, half a dozen varieties of patching along with a selection of lubes. I can't tell you how many times I've arrived at the range with the wrong balls or patches, so now I carry some of each so I'm never "out."

Oh yeah, back to your question. :wink: I don't know the models, but the tool kit is an old Bianchi range box from my PPC shooting days, and the muzzleloader box is a recent Plano of some variety or other.

woodse guy said:
"...I need some pictures of your range boxes..."
I’ve thought about the typical wooden range box that everybody seems to want to copy, but so far I haven’t seen one that has all the bells and whistles storage & dividers I wanted.
In the meantime, I decided to use MTM’s Case-Gard Shooter’s Accessory boxes for the sheer convenience and low profile they offer. But looking back on it, I guess the "meanwhile" has been almost 20 years now...LOL.
Have one box set up for .40/.45/.50cals, and a twin set up for .54/.58/.62cals

Also, regardless of which type box, if you don’t work from a bag while at the range...the ”˜muffin pan’ approach has been an excellent organizer for me at the shooting table. (Teflon coated version to avoid rusting)

021211RangeShootingTrayCropped.jpg

090311MTMCase-GardRangeBoxClosed.jpg

090311MTMCase-GardRangeBoxOpen.jpg

What I did was go to Menards and picked up one of those Plano upright rolling grey/black toolbox. Cost me 40 bucks a couple years ago. It has a locking drop down front that covers the 4 drawers,lid and tip out compartment. What I do is place the handgun(s) I am using that day in the drawers with related accessories(nipple wrench, powder flask,transfer container). The top hinged compartment I place things like earplugs, and muffs, a screwdriver, pliers target markers, sandwich, empty brass storage container, and other miscellaneous items. In the bottom tip out where the power tools normally go is where my paper targets, swing targets. and any holster goes. I just wheel the whole thing to my jeep pull it in and go. When using my private range outback I just wheel the thing out to my shooting platform and ready to go. Where the tools normaly fit in the side slots thats where my range rods go There is even a spot in the lid that will hold your can of beverage like lemonade, or soda pop, or thermos or coffee cup.

Addin' my 2 cents. i use a machinist's chest that has several drawers of different sizes and a front that folds down and is closed and lockable when transportin' yer stuff.
Made of wood and brass fittings and quite handsome to look at Mine has a walnut stain and a nice furniture finish on it. Quite reasonable too!
Bearclaw ( Don't never use the same knife that you use to make bull calves steers to peel apples)

Here is my muzzle loading range box. It's a metal tool box (sized for a circular saw) with some 1/4" plywood dividers.

oops, I rotated the photo and now it's gone. Here it is again, sitting on the floor

I bought the wooden machinist box from harbor freight, it was on sale for 79.99 and I had a 20% coupon.

image_11844.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/tool-boxes/eight-drawer-wood-tool-chest-94538.html

It works great, the little drawers for my little stuff (caps, small tools etc), the wider drawers for my other tools (hollow ground screwdrivers etc) and the top holds other stuff, patches. I use a recycled plastic type bag that are bought for cheap for my possibles bag and my powder horn.

I put my powder in a 50 cal box, can put 8 cans in that and the skinnier one (can't remember caliber at the moment) I put my round balls in it, the tins I use I can stack 3 high as I made about 600 balls one day with old lead, the tins hold up to 120, but I keep 100 each tin.

Some great ideas, boxes!

Just my .02

Nappers said:
I put my powder in a 50 cal box, can put 8 cans in that and the skinnier one (can't remember caliber at the moment)

30 Caliber box, sorry back on nights at the klink and couldn't remember, looked at the Army Navy surplus site in Medford OR for the size.....

Back