• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Session, TC Hawken .45...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skillet

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked this one up a few weeks back at a local gun shop for $165, used but in very good condition.

All of my BP guns are .45s, and I'd been hankering to own one of these in .45 for years.

Hawken1.jpg

I'd read that the twist on these guns worked well with the TC designed "Maxi's" that I cast for some of my other guns.

Trying them out, I found that 50 gns of FFF grade Triple 7 puts out some pretty good power.

I'd used these slugs with good success in my Kentucky rifle on hogs, whitetail and mule deer.

Here's how it chronied out of the Hawken, these bullets fall from my mould weighing at 242 gns...
Hawken2.jpg

I remembered that I had an empty Coleman fuel can in the barn. I filled it with water, capped it and shot it at 20 yds.

Here's the exit side...
Hawken3.jpg

Here's my last group at 60 yds... 5 shots with no swabbing during the string.

You "ringers' can laugh all you want,I won't be able to hear it down here in Central Texas, but with these old eyes of mine and open sights, I'm happy with it, abt 2.5" spread between the widest shots...
Hawken4.jpg

It's a keeper, I'm thinking.

It oughta' be capable of putting some venison in the freezer this fall.

I'll let y'all know how it works out!

HH All!
Skillet

I used T/Cs .45cal/255grn Maxi-Hunters for a couples years in TC 1:48" and they were tack drivers...they just seemed to be inherently accurate in the .45cal...never enjoyed anything close to that accuracy with .50 or .54cal maxi's.

In fact I always thought if I could only have one "rifle" it would be a .45cal Flintlock with a 1:48" twist to have the benefit of 128grn RBs and 255grn Maxi-Hunters to cover a pretty broad range of plinking/small game/big game

Man!!! I wish I could come across one of those in a Pawn Shop for that. You stole it for $165.00. That's not a Hawken, it's a Seneca. They sell for about $200.00 more than a Hawken used, $425.00 to $475.00.

Robert

Yup! He durn near stole that Seneca!
What a great find, and purdy dang good shootin :thumbsup:

That "Trip-7" is pretty hot powder, it would take at least 70 grains of Goex black to match the speed you're getting with only 50 grains.

Robert58 said:
That's not a Hawken, it's a Seneca. They sell for about $200.00 more than a Hawken used, $425.00 to $475.00.

Robert

Thanx for the correction!

I pulled out some reference books at home and you are absolutely right... I thought the gun felt a little light, it's abt 2 lbs lighter than a Hawken.

Just when I thought I couldn't be any happier abt buying it, I am!

Skillet

Back