• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Random thoughts on the Lyman/ Investarm patent breach

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeyref

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So i’ve been following the touch hole/self priming thread and it got me wondering about the actual dimensions of the Lyman GPR patent breech. I do use a brush to scrub it out, but have often wondered about making a scraper to fit.

Other thoughts include opening the patent breech diameter, or making it more of a cone instead of a small cylinder. Also considered using ball head as others suggested to open the internal flash channel.

Yeah, it is probably more hassle than it’s worth, as in don’t eff with stuff that’s working) but at least I’m thinking about muzzle loader stuff. LOL

I have a Great Plains pistol and it worked well for years. Cleaned in the typical manner with out brush’s or special tools to my complete satisfaction. Being a tinkerer I had to take it apart a few years ago and re-shaped the inside and outside plus color case hardened it. After all that it works and cleans and shoots just as well as it did before.
IMG_0526 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I’ve got numerous rifles with the patent breech. One of them I shoot at monthly match’s. This rifle sees at least 50 rounds a month. Been using them for 30+ years. I’ve never ran a brush or a special jag down into the breech. Never had had a single issue. Pump barrel and breach in a bucket or clean as normal for pinned barrels. I blast out my barrels/breech with alcohol or brake cleaner prior to shooting. Dry it and go shooting.

Latest posts

Back