• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone used Ramin wood ramrods from TOTW ? I have a couple of rods, hickory and ramin, that have been soaking in kerosene for about six months.When I took them out to look at them today the ramin rods have a Very nice brown color thru and thru.I hope it stays as it dries out. Back to my question, is ramin a good,strong and durable wood for a ramrod ?

Maybe can tell you in a few months. I replace the ramrod in my Tennesse with one and put one in my 58 when I finished it last summer. It's only been a year for one and six months for the other. I don't use the rod in the rifle very much, when I forget the range rod, when shooting primative or hunting.

I did build a 7/16 range rod for my shorter rifles and have used it a lot for loading and cleaning. So far it has been fine.

Sully,

Most of the ramrods sold today by the muzzleloader suppliers are made of ramin wood. Most of the factory reproduction guns made today have ramin wood ramrods. As long as the ramin wood ramrod has fairly straight grain then they should be a good ramrod.

Getting a good hickory ramrod is a make it yourself project or buy one at a pretty stiff price from someone who hand makes them.

BTW, every time I read about someone breaking a ramrod I have to wonder what they were doing. I have been shooting muzzleloaders for over 50 years and have never broken a ramrod.

Randy Hedden

Harddog, Thanks for the reply. I have a hickory rod that I made and have some rods of hickory and ramin still soaking in kerosene.I took out a ramin rod and am going to make a spare rod for my rifle out of it. (just in case) I don't like using other types of rods and I don't want to carry a "range" rod with me to the range.I have never broken a rod as of yet but was wondering how durable the ramin wood is. Thanks.

Back