• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question re Hopkins and Allen barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swquiro

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A few days back I went into a local mom and pop gun shop, and mixed in with some sporter replacement stocks for military Mausers in a gun rack was a ML barrel. Of course I had to pick it up a have a look. A 39inch barrel apparently never used but with a few small patches of surface rust, with the following markings: Hopkins and Allen, Made in the USA, .50 cal, blackpowder only, Minuteman. Three dovetails on the botton and two on the top, and a threaded hole for a touch hole liner. Appears to be a slow twist. Shop owner would sell it for $30 and throw in a new breech plug (barrel is minus one at the moment). I sure could use this for a project. Anyone have any info or opinions on these barrels? Thanks in advance.

swquiro: Years ago Numrich Arms made a number of underhammer and regular BP guns. The name Numrich used for these guns was Hopkins & Allen. (The Real Hopkins & Allen company produced guns back in the mid 1800s.
Numrich has always been known for their quality barrels, and their black powder guns were also of good quality.

Numrich is listed as making these guns in BLACK POWDER GUIDE A Shooters Bible Publication 1969 and BLACK POWDER GUN DIGEST published in 1972 /
The 1969 book shows three of their underhamer guns and 2 fullstocks called "Minuteman".
The Minuteman was listed in .36 or .45 caliber with a 39 inch 15/16 octagon. There was also a .58 conversion barrel avaliable.

The 1972 book shows 5 different Numrich H&A underhammers in .36 to .58 caliber, 1 over/under swivel breech in .45 caliber($139.95) , a Half stock plains rifle in .45 or .50 cal. ($174) and a Flintlock "Minuteman" in .36 or .45 cal.($179.95). The book also shows a "Minuteman Brush Rifle" with a 24 inch barrel in .45 or .50 cal. ($160).

While none of these would seem to match the barrel you found, it wouldn't suprise me to find that the Minuteman was produced in .50 caliber.
These old books don't usually give twist rates, but because Numrich was making these back before modern fast twists were thought of for muzzleloaders, I would expect it to be at least a 1:48 or slower.

If you can use the barrel, I don't think you can go wrong for $30!! People spend $30 on a crummy pair of shoes now. ::

I just got a new Numrich(Gun Parts Corp.) catalog..they don't list the barrel bu do show the locks and all the parts trigger guard, butt plate, patch box, nose cap. breach plug 5/8 18 at $3.15, also a stripped drum.
it looks like it was set up to be either flint or precussion they show both locks ...looks like you could take the liner out and screw in the drum and change locks ang go either way.

Many thanks to Zonie and JRDavis for the info. I just bought the barrel and am thinking about lobbing off about 7 inches and making a full-stocked brush rifle. Have to think about it for a while. Sam

Back in the ancient days Dixie used to buy some of the mid grade barrels from Numrich. I have a .58 barrel 1 1/4' across the flats made by Numrich. They are good barrels.

If you can get it for half the price of a Green Mountain barrel it will be worth the money. You can probably order the same barrel for Numrich, new, at a rediculiously low price. They used to offer stock seconds for $10 and 24" barrel sections for $15, percussion locks for $25(new). You could build a whole BP gun or less than $50.

We often overlook them and they are a major supplier of new and replacement parts for the shooting world.

Latest posts

Back