• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

question about "squib" loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx-hunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Can I fire loads of 5-10 grains of pyrodex and roundball for plinkin and such? Assuming you press the ball firmly against the powder.

That's a bit on the light side.
Okay, that's very light.
Assuming you can get the ball seated on the charge, it will be okay to shoot that light of a load IMO but I don't think it would be very dramatic.
I think most muzzleloader manufacturers recommend a minimum of 50 grains of powder.
I plink with 60 grains of 3f Goex.

HD

tx-hunter said:
Can I fire loads of 5-10 grains of pyrodex and roundball for plinkin and such? Assuming you press the ball firmly against the powder.

FYI...if you're shooting a rifle with a patent breech, the ball stops on top of the patent breech and cannot compress an amount of powder below that point.

I have personally poured/measured the amount of Goex 3F it takes to fill a spare TC breechplug I have...18grns...so as an easy number to remember, I use 20grns as a minimum amount...and I've personally fired 20grns as a test to know it works, etc...and I've actually used 30 and 40grns in a .45 Flinter as a squirrel load.

tx-hunter said:

As stated before, you have to be sure the ball is on top of the powder, any space will create a dangerous gap and the ball itself would become a barrel obstruction...

I have used 10 gr fffg BP for .32 light loads. Worked fine. There is probably a limit to ball size this would be effective with--even for short range plinking. But, the only time I ever dry balled (honest!) was with a .45 percussion rifle I had just made and excitedly rammed home a ball sans powder. I did not then have a puller and went to a friend's house for one, when he said, "just shoot it out". We pulled the nipple and drum and worked a few grains of fffg into it, reseated the ball, put it back in order and fired it into a oak post at about 20 feet. The rifle gave a good "bang" and the ball penetrated well into the seasoned oak post! I would guess we used near 5 gr?

Every body is givin' you good and safe info, but you did not mention, what is the caliber,and is it a rifle or revolver ?. In a rifle get the powder above the breech .In a revolver just make sure the ball is firmly seated on the powder charge............Olson

In a "dry-ball" scenario it is common practice to dribble a few grains of powder in through the nipple or clean-out hole and fire it out. Probably not more than 3-5 grains can be loaded in that way, not nearly enough to fill a patent breech but no harm is done in firing it.
I do think you'd have trouble with such light loads of Pyrodex. Unlike black powder, pyrodex seems to need a certain minimum pressure to burn properly. It's a bit like smokeless in that respect and may behave erratically in very light charges.
I've often shot 30 grains of 3f Goex out of a .50 caliber and 40 grains in a .54. I really think most folks burn a lot more powder than needed for plinking. I consider 60 grains to be my max for paper and plinking, I know that in a long day of shooting any heavier load will lead me to flinching.

It sounds way to light IMHO. If you're gonna use Pyrodex I wouldn't go less than 40 or 50. I've heard of folks using 30 grains of Goex. When I go light my accuracy suffers. I think 60 is light

Hi Texas

don't take this to the bank but I have always put a little powder under the nipple for me (oops) or others who have dry balled a round. The round always fires with NO ill effects at all. The round comes out and maybe goes 20 yds or so or further depending. The amount of grains that is poured in that way can only be a slight amount really possibly less than 5 grns or so. And don't forget that there is definitely an air gap also between the powder and the ball when you do this. I think there are no ill effects because the preasure created is minimal at best and it is no more or no less than using the new fangled Co2 cartridges for this same purpose, to expell the round. My opinion, but do not advise using this method to anyone else,

rabbit03

maybe, depends what you want to hit and how far with what caliber. I use 25 grains in a .50 and 30 grains in a .54 for squirrel and both loads do just fine out to 25 yards.

When my son was a Pee-Wee shooter ( he's now 25) he would shoot my .50 cal Mountain Rifle with 25 gr. and hit the bullseye at 25 yds. consistantly. Looking back this was not such a good idea as he regularly outshoots me at rondezvous. I would think that half the cal. .50=25gr., .45=22gr. would work well at 25 yards.

Back