• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex in flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fiveoh said:
I have a Investarms flinter and can't shoot it as there isn't much black powder around here. I'd love to get some 4F and 2F, if I could find it
My percussion .50 is getting all the attention,... for now.
Can't you find find some in Edmondchuk - P&D, maybe, or Wholesale Sports? I'm not sure, but Hillfolk in Senlac(?) Sask. may be able to ship powder, and they're at all the gun shows.

Regards,
Joel

I feel for ya BB.
My sitch is much better. I can drive four hours down into CO, or six hours to the western end of WY. I've located nothing closer.
I CAN have it shipped, but can't always be here to sign for it. Then its a two hour trip to pick it up (one way), IF I can get the day off.

wy0mn said:
I feel for ya BB.
My sitch is much better. I can drive four hours down into CO, or six hours to the western end of WY. I've located nothing closer.
I CAN have it shipped, but can't always be here to sign for it. Then its a two hour trip to pick it up (one way), IF I can get the day off.

That does have a familiar "ring" to it! :grin:

I feel for ya BB.

It can be a challenge to get BP in the middle of the Country as well. from where i live it is a 240 mile drive to Dixie Arms tn and a 270 mile drive to Deer Creek Products in Waldon IN.
It was more available in PA. And in VT. just a short drive to Bixby's fuel in Poulney VT.
So any time i am close to any place that sells it I buy as many cans as the budget allows. for that matter always trade scrape scrape metals for lead when I go to scrape yard.

Go to the Goex.com website, and check the map. They show your nearest distributor. Contact them by phone or email and ask them for the nearest retailer to you. Or arrange to buy the powder from them direct, and have them ship it to you. BP can be shipped in Canada, and there are Canadian distributors shown on the map.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, we hit the range again and ran a series of experiments using the pyrodex 2F equivalent. I was using my .50 rifle and my friend has his long land pattern Brown Bess. The final conclusions are that we were able to get a charge of pyrodex to fire using BP in the pan alone. I ran a couple of shots with about 5gr. of BP "booster" down the bore first, which worked fine. In the end, we could run the appropriate loads in pyrodex and only needed the BP for the pan. The only issue we determined was that the touchhole in my touchhole liner was too small, but that is for another thread.

The final conclusions are that we were able to get a charge of pyrodex to fire using BP in the pan alone.

I have done this very same thing in testing. I have gotten the same results as you did. There is no question, it can be done. But, there is always a “but” involved. The speed or quickness of the ignition and actual firing of the charge leaves a lot to be desired comparing to a all black powder load.

Back