• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pure frustration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have this older pedersoli Flintlock it was made in the late 1960s. It's a 32 Caliber Kentucky squirrel rifle. I broke off a cleaning Jag down in the bore. After some thought I finally decided on dribbling some fine black powder in through the touch hole and try to shoot it out. First try was a near success only about 6 in from the end of the barrel. Of course I had to push it back down to try again so I don't make a short start. And unfortunately I pushed it too far down in front of the touch hole. Now I can't do anything regarding shooting it out. It's a plastic cleaning Jag I am considering welding a self-tapping screw to the end of a steel rod to try to extract it. I'm giving up for today I was really hoping for a win on this one I just got done making a new mainspring and I want to shoot it. I'm open for any suggestions. I already tried compressed air that was a no-go.
Not seeing totally your situation, I am assuming the air is blowing past your jag. I would try this: Make a rubber plug at least 3/8" thick that will fit as tight as a RB with patch, lube the plug with grease and slide it down against the jag. Squirt some WD40 in the TH. Take a rag and grease the bore with a film of grease. Now, try your air using some high pressure on the TH with the gun in a safe direction. The plug seal should help make the compressed air do the job.
Good luck
Larry

Not seeing totally your situation, I am assuming the air is blowing past your jag. I would try this: Make a rubber plug at least 3/8" thick that will fit as tight as a RB with patch, lube the plug with grease and slide it down against the jag. Squirt some WD40 in the TH. Take a rag and grease the bore with a film of grease. Now, try your air using some high pressure on the TH with the gun in a safe direction. The plug seal should help make the compressed air do the job.
Good luck
Larry
Actually it was making a perfect seal the problem was that 120 lb of air wasn't budging it

Hooray success I got it out. I took a piece of long quarter inch round stock sharpened to the end on the grinder and then I put a Fuller all around the end so it would be like an arrowhead heated it up with my torch smooshed it down into the barrel and held constant pressure until it stopped moving and then walked away for a half an hour when I came back it slid right out no problem. It was the idea of melting it in general that gave me the idea. Thanks for all the suggestions. Too bad I don't have any balls for it. I have not shot it in 25 years at least I guess a little while longer won't hurt. It feels better knowing that it's working now though

20230611_155714.jpg

Actually it was making a perfect seal the problem was that 120 lb of air wasn't budging it
I didn't doubt your seal at the TH! My suggestion is saying the air might be blowing around and past the jag. The air is not keeping or building up pressure. There is no seal inside the barrel. Just my guess. What have you got to loose? Oh, maybe the jag and plug. 😂
Larry

I didn't doubt your seal at the TH! My suggestion is saying the air might be blowing around and past the jag. The air is not keeping or building up pressure. There is no seal inside the barrel. Just my guess. What have you got to loose? Oh, maybe the jag and plug. 😂
Larry
No I really met the cleaning Jag and oily patch combo was actually a good seal. Very little blow by anyway.

;) Being a Southern boy by birth I was brought up eating collards, tasty but I don't think they'd harden up enough to use as a ball puller. :dunno:
Well, at least I didn't make the mistake of calling it a **Deleted** ball puller. That would have launched a fusillade of responses. None of which I would care for.

Edited for peace of mind.

Last edited:
I stead of removing the breach plug why not remove barrel drill a 1/8 in hole in back end of breach plug. Then you have a choice of the powder thing or compressed air. It takes around 250 to 300 psi to shoot a dry ball out so at least that much for the jag.It works I know. Then you can jb weld a a screw and tap that hole and run tge screw in. Or just a 1/8 in. Rod with jb. Then have the back end of breach plug and the rod welded.

Good thought but put a ball puller on that rod. Don't get it to hot but hot enough maybe you can screw the ball puller into that jag then wrap with cold wet rags let it cool then ease it out

Back