• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pure frustration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Sparky

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I have this older pedersoli Flintlock it was made in the late 1960s. It's a 32 Caliber Kentucky squirrel rifle. I broke off a cleaning Jag down in the bore. After some thought I finally decided on dribbling some fine black powder in through the touch hole and try to shoot it out. First try was a near success only about 6 in from the end of the barrel. Of course I had to push it back down to try again so I don't make a short start. And unfortunately I pushed it too far down in front of the touch hole. Now I can't do anything regarding shooting it out. It's a plastic cleaning Jag I am considering welding a self-tapping screw to the end of a steel rod to try to extract it. I'm giving up for today I was really hoping for a win on this one I just got done making a new mainspring and I want to shoot it. I'm open for any suggestions. I already tried compressed air that was a no-go.

That is a predicament. You might be on the right track with the welded screw idea though. I don't know anything about Pedersoli's, but how hard would it be to remove the plug if worst comes to worst?

It's a plastic cleaning Jag I am considering welding a self-tapping screw to the end of a steel rod to try to extract it.

That is very likely to damage the bore.

Plastic cleaning jag? How about, maybe, take a wooden dowel of appropriate caliber and pound a small finishing nail into one end of it. Cut the head off the nail, then use a file to cut a couple of barbs in the exposed nail. Ram it down, and maybe, tap it a bit to get that nail to spear the plastic jag. Once in, the barbs might hold it well enough to pull it out.

I've never done this, But here's what I would try.

Get a 12" length of 1/4" brass or aluminum tubing, and a 3/16" x 36" wood dowel from your local hardware.

With a hacksaw, make a cut about 1-1/2" deep into one end of the tubing to create two "fingers". Use the butt end of a 1/4" drill bit to spread the fingers and form them into parallel fingers that just fit into the bore of the gun.

Epoxy about 6" of the wood dowel into the other end of the tube.

Stick it down the bore and try gently try capturing the jag.

Scan_20230610 (2).jpg

@Old Sparky, I assume/hope you have a working rod, and it has 8-32 threads for the jag. If you do then head to your local big box or small box hardware store and look for some hanger bolts.

Lowe's has a bag of 10 of these hanger bolts. Half the bolt is a #8 wood screw, and the other end is an 8-32 threaded bolt that should fasten into your working rod. Getting a bag of 10 of these is a lot simpler than welding a wood screw onto a rod. And the bag of 10 costs $1.18. You should be able to get that plastic cleaning jag out.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-8-x-1-in-Zinc-Plated-Hanger-Bolt-10-Count/3010296

It's a plastic cleaning Jag I am considering welding a self-tapping screw to the end of a steel rod to try to extract it.

That is very likely to damage the bore.
Drill several small rubber washers to fit over the rod. Chuck it into an electric drill and turn the rod and washers so you can sand them down to fit in the bore. Not only would it protect the bore, it would center the apparatus in the bore.
But the whole thing would be a lot simpler if the breech plug could be removed.

Plastic cleaning jag? How about, maybe, take a wooden dowel of appropriate caliber and pound a small finishing nail into one end of it. Cut the head off the nail, then use a file to cut a couple of barbs in the exposed nail. Ram it down, and maybe, tap it a bit to get that nail to spear the plastic jag. Once in, the barbs might hold it well enough to pull it out.
I had thought of something like that but it's really jammed in there pretty good there's a lot of resistance I do believe I used the wrong size Jag and it's very tight

@Old Sparky, I assume/hope you have a working rod, and it has 8-32 threads for the jag. If you do then head to your local big box or small box hardware store and look for some hanger bolts.

Lowe's has a bag of 10 of these hanger bolts. Half the bolt is a #8 wood screw, and the other end is an 8-32 threaded bolt that should fasten into your working rod. Getting a bag of 10 of these is a lot simpler than welding a wood screw onto a rod. And the bag of 10 costs $1.18. You should be able to get that plastic cleaning jag out.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-8-x-1-in-Zinc-Plated-Hanger-Bolt-10-Count/3010296

Drill several small rubber washers to fit over the rod. Chuck it into an electric drill and turn the rod and washers so you can sand them down to fit in the bore. Not only would it protect the bore, it would center the apparatus in the bore.
But the whole thing would be a lot simpler if the breech plug could be removed.
I was trying to come up with something like that I was thinking maybe some plastic tubing

Wrap a few wraps of masking tape around the hangar bolt to keep it from contacting the bore.
Muzzleloaders + plastic jags = Big Trouble eventually.

I don't know for sure, but a Pedersoli that old probably doesn't have a chambered breech. If it were me, and ALL ELSE HAS FAILED, and the breechplug wont come out, I would remove the vent liner, and use a MAPP torch to melt that baby right out of there. Suspend/position the barrel so it will drip out the vent hole without settling on the breechplug face.

Good luck gladiator.

Here is my craziest idea.
I don't know for sure, but a Pedersoli that old probably doesn't have a chambered breech. If it were me, and ALL ELSE HAS FAILED, and the breechplug wont come out, I would remove the vent liner, and use a MAPP torch to melt that baby right out of there. Suspend/position the barrel so it will drip out the vent hole without settling on the breechplug face.

Good luck gladiator.
They quit manufacturing a map gas unfortunately cherish what you have left. You don't think that would affect some sort of heat treatment of the barrel? I guess that last resort is a last resort I must admit I hadn't thought of melting it. Wait that's it I just thought of it as I was typing this I could stick something red hot down the barrel like a metal rod and melt it to the rod and pull it out. Even if I only pull it a half an inch it would solve the problem

Back