• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

proof test load for a 12 gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished my 12 gauge Fowler and want to proof test the barrel, it's a Rice , 46 inchs long, 12 gauge.
What would be a good proof test load ?

Why do you want to proof test it?. Proof testing was done back in the day because of the way they made the barrels. Today, with our modern steels there is just no reason to proof test a barrel. Just go out there and find a load that shoots good.

if it is a rice barrel, id say you could not blow it up if you filled it to the brim?

You finished the gun and want to test NOW! :shocked2:
If you doubt the barrel it should have been proof tested before you did anything on the build.
At this point, load and shoot and enjoy.

I have an L.C. Rice rifle barrel.

No need to proof test it and, if you did, you're apt to bulge the 12L14 steel without demonstrating anything other than it can take a lot of punishment without bursting.

I gotta agree. Proof testing a barrel made by a reputable barrel maker doesn't need proof testing.

He's proof tested the design many times to make certain it is safe to shoot even with overloads. His reputation and bank account are at stake if one of his barrels ever fails while it is being used correctly. (If someone uses smokeless powder, all bets are off but their misuse of the barrel will cover him in case of a lawsuit, even without the BLACK POWDER ONLY markings.)

Agree with Zonie! :thumbsup:

:FOR INFORMATION ONLY
A 12 gauge 'Provisional Proof' consisted of 350 grains of powder and a 535 grain bullet. Just remember, these proof loads are for government proof houses but modern gun metals should never be subjected to loads like this. They'd probably pass it with ease but why subject a new gun to heavy stress for no other reason than we think it should have been.

Hope ol' Wes doesn't mind but, the proof test data is the Provisional Proof test shown in the Dixie Gun Catalogs, listed only as, "1887 MUZZLE LOADING PROOF LOADS". Dixie doesn't say which proof house the data came from. This data is shown in my 1980, 1987 and other Dixie catalogs up thru 2011.
I'm sure it is still being shown in newer catalogs but I don't own any of them.

Interestingly, this chart shows Provisional Proof, Definitive Proof and Service Charges for bores from 4 thru 11 but they only list the Provisional load for the 12 guage.

IMO, in 1887 they hadn't heard of the wonderful discoveries of the people of the 21st Century so the loads would have been 2Fg powder instead of 3Fg which was reserved for smaller bore guns back then.

Sam Falada Did some proof testing and took some god awful charges to bust the barrel. Short of being half rusted or clogged with mud I doubt you could blow a barrel with any reasonable charge.

I agree, most of the proof houses have test percentages of 200% of the Max load or higher, and some even include double the weight of the projectile... so even a sportsmant or a soldier loading a very stout load would be way below the test load... the other situation would be if an accidental overload happened in combat as often proofing first historically appears for testing of government bought barrels intended for military guns.

LD

I proofed my 12 gauge halfstock fowler with 240 grains of 2f and 2 ounces of shot. I used a modern steel shotgun barrel and was basicly seeing if I had a good breech plug and touch hole set-up. I recently tested a 44" piece of 1"od x 1/2"id seamless steel tubing. I used 240 grains 3f with a 370 grain maxiball. After several shots, I measured the od, and found no change at all. A good barrel should be able to handle a 200% load, and not be damaged. It is very important, however, to mount the barrel solidly to a board or tire, and fire it remotely. Never stand behind the barrel. My 12 ga. flew over 60 feet on one of the shots.

Back