• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB Long Range?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't really say how many muzzleloaders I have had.
In excess of 200.
However, long distance shooting with round ball is limited to 125 yds. for hunting purposes.
Target shooting at distances like that is just a past time, because you will never have a really good group anyway.
If you want to hunt or target shoot at distances longer than 125 yds., you will need a gun like a Whitworth, Gibbs, or a gun of that type.
You will need a gun that shoots a projectile that is about three times bore diameter or better, and you will need the appropriate barrel twist.
The Whitworth will reliably shoot 4" at 200 yds. with good sights.
"BUT" the down side is, after shooting a 450 grain bullet all day long, you will be walking sideways for three days after, due to recoil.
Old Ford

I've set MY range limit at 80 yards or less... preferably "LESS" with the iron sights on my older .50 caliber CVA percussion cap, Hawken Carbine (24" barrel, 6½ lbs).

Would I "pass" on a 100 yard shot on a whitetail buck? Yep, definitely... and not because the little CVA Carbine isn't accurate 'cause it is VERY accurate loaded with 70 grains of FFFg Swiss black powder and a Hornady swagged round ball.

If it had a longer barrel, I'd designate it my "target" rifle, but with the short 24-inch barrel, it's a bit "barrel-light" for good off-hand target shooting.

For me, the "limiting factors" are BOTH the poor ballistic coefficiency (.068) of the patched, round ball which rapidly sheds velocity and, thus, bullet energy along with a considerable bullet drop beyond reasonable ranges plus the very limiting factor of using IRON SIGHTS rather than telescopic sights which ALL of my center-fire rifles carry.

Yes, I could mount a 'scope on the muzzle loading carbine, but... again... that's just NOT something most traditional muzzle-loader shooters do in the vast majority of cases.

I am very confident to take a shot at a deer at 50 yards, but at 100 yards, that deer is growing pretty small and my iron sights plus the ballistic inefficiency of the PRB are making accurate bullet placement more of a "guess" than a "sure thing" (at least, for me).

Make GOOD smoke... :thumbsup:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I am new to ML's and my take is this is a short range hunting weapon.Both from a balistic and a sight aspect.
I will not shoot over 100 yards with a 30-30/94 win, and with the ML's it is a 70 yard MAX game for me. Heck this is more than double the range I will shoot with a longbow.
Holding over to make long shots is just not a thing I suport.If you want to shoot far go with a scope and a good centerfire. If you want to hunt, use a longbow or a Muzzle loader and get close. Save the Hail Marry's for church.

petew said:
I will not shoot over 100 yards with a 30-30/94 win, and with the ML's it is a 70 yard MAX game for me. Heck this is more than double the range I will shoot with a longbow.

:thumbsup:

Nothing like hunting with a traditional bow to make a flintlock with round balls seem like a futuristic killing machine.

Back