• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Term Rust Prevention

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If you were going to put a muzzleloader away for a long period of time, lets say three years, what oil or grease is the best for rust prevention? I am not looking for heaters or other preventers, just the best oil or grease for the barrel and steel parts.

What type of environment will it be stored ? Climate controlled house or a garage or out building with extreme temp. swings and periods of high humidity ?

In a climate controlled area , a good coat of synthetic motor oil will be all you need. In an out building I would recommend RIG inside on out on all metal surfaces.

A lot of you might smile when I tell you where the guns will be stored. In a gun safe I hope. Some in a not-so-climate-controlled place. Have family members out there that have one or more of my guns and most of them being ML'ers. Years, sweat and blood went into making those guns. We give money for Christmas to the kids, but we also give them a small present at our family party. Most like too trap shoot, so the last few years they got bullets. This year is going to be different. I told my wife, some of those guns will never see the daylight for a year or so. See the picture here. A 10 or15 Dollar gift this Christmas may save some gun barrels. There you have it. Now those barrels get treated with light gun oil, if that. I need a case of some of the best long term barrel treatment.:) Quit laughing please!

I use LSA. I don’t shoot as often as I would like, and I have several guns from which to choose before a trip to the range. So, when I clean one up and put it away after shooting, I never know how long it will be until I pull that particular one out again. LSA does not evaporate, and a film of it will stay for years.

I cut pieces of chamois skin 8”-10” square and treat them with a few drops of LSA. The “skins” are each stored in little wide-mouthed jars. I keep a chamois jar handy, in the shop, by the workbench, in the gun cabinet, wherever needed, and pull the skin out and wipe down any gun that gets handled. The chamois is tough, lasts for years, and leaves no lint. I put 6-8 more drops of LSA on each chamois now and then. I also put some on a patch for treating the bore of each rifle as part of routine cleaning.

I haven’t seen LSA for sale in quite a while, and I think it has probably been discontinued. Sarco still had some for sale online, last time I checked.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Know what rig is, but what is LSA? Since cell phones and text became popular so did abbreviations and it can be frustrating.
thanks Phil :dunno:

Lubricant, Small Arms. Government stuff used from the ?1960's. Has Teflon in it I think.
Yes. @Boatncamp is correct. It is a military abbreviation. I didn’t know about the Teflon, but it is an excellent lubricant as well as a surface protectant. Some black powder shooters flip out because it is a petroleum product, but I have had no issues whatsoever in that respect with my muzzleloaders that have been treated inside and out with LSA.

We used to see it at gun shows in little green plastic squeeze bottles, but I think our military discontinued using it and it must have gone out of production. Probably causes cancer in California. I keep using it because I’m safe… I live in Florida.

Notchy Bob

Yes, Cosmoline and RIG.

I reach for LPS-3. It goes on liquid dries as a stiff waxy grease. I have never had any rust on or in a gun that I treated with LPS-3.

Back