• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

powderhorn staples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Capt. Jas. said:
I love the part about posting on threads whose topics are not of interest. On any other website that would be trolling. Of course that stuff can easily be edited out by moderators.

You can twist anyone’s words and have them come out just the way you want them.
The fact is though I commented on something that is of interest to me. Historical facts... :wink:

Twice

I just can't find anything in this thread
to show any argument to the fact that some folks made their own horns. What's the problem? Chuck agreed with that but pointed out that many did not.

It just keeps getting better, I am amazed at those who openly state they are not history students yet continue to tell us exactly how folks in the past did things, would have done things or should have done things based on how they think things should have, would have been done..again why are they even in a history based thread if they do not believe in history? all they do is confuse many of those with an honest thirst for knowldege and constantly remove any doubt about their own credibility, the masses as they may be here can easily see thru the shallow veil that is put forth, it is baffleing to say the least, "I can read all the history in the world but it will not change my mind" or some such thing...that has to win the alltime "Elmer Fudds wabbit wisdom words" for the day award, freakin amazing :idunno: I am nearly at a loss of words and that takes a lot of doin' :surrender: I do not see where folks pick and choose history as it fits their needs, such a statement could not even be made by someone who does not care about or study history, one would need a wide history base understanding to know if someone else was picking and choosing, I think this might be called an oxymoron ...or some type of moron, I am not sure of the terminology, but I will read all the dictionaries in the world and they will not alter the way I spell any of the words I use, or missue, or misspell, now I am confused....I guess I must belong here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am beginning to wonder if it is the latest method to extract hard earned research from those in the know of things. Seems to always be arguments started with those in possession of solid documentation and its quickly over once the transfer occurs. Of course others keep having a delusion long after their woulda coulda shoulda is disproven.

Seems like it would be easier and less hassle just to ask? no one I know tries to keep this stuff a state secret, most are very willing to share and the forum and those looking to,learn are generaly very gratefull from what I have seen, Chuck (labonte)is one of the more knowlegable and patient folks I have seen around here when it comes to helping others on a historicaly based quest, his knowlegde leaves myself and many others in the dust so to speak and he always offeres his help on the smallest of subjects without an attitude, there are many here yourself included Capt who do the same.

I think that to answer your question as to how the base plug staples were attached in the past (as opposed to how some builders do it today or how it might have been done), it would be necessary to either X-ray or use an endoscope on a number of original horns from different areas or to find someone who has. The curvature on all of my horns, both originals and reproductions, is too great to see to the center of the base plug by merely looking down the spout. Perhaps a tiny magnet suspended by a thread would attach to a clenched staple that protruded thru the base plug. Wallace Gussler will be at the SLA show next month & I will try to remember to ask him if he is aware of any studies on this.

Capt. Jas. said:
I just can't find anything in this thread
to show any argument to the fact that some folks made their own horns. What's the problem? Chuck agreed with that but pointed out that many did not.

No argument from me Bro. My point was made several posts back.
But I do resent being called a troll. :haha: :haha:
Twice.

Well I've had my say here and for those who prefer to share knowledge in a respectful manner - even when disagreeing, can PM or email me.....
Recently the constant contentiousness by the few here no matter the subject or their knowledge or lack of knowledge of a subject, make it just no longer worth it to me - I came to enjoy, relax, and share respectfully, but that just no longer seems possible due to the ego of a few and it just tain't fun no more.......vaya......

There are a lot of us who don't post on threads like this because we just don't have the knowlege Labonte but we are here and eager to soak up what people like you know on the subjects, please do not ever forget that. :v

Swampy said:
There are a lot of us who don't post on threads like this because we just don't have the knowlege Labonte but we are here and eager to soak up what people like you know on the subjects, please do not ever forget that. :v
Yep! :hatsoff:

For some of the folks I will be around and will even offer info at times, but for now between my on going crappy health and the lousy economy causing a drain on my work I'm just not in the best state of health (nothing like Swampy's problems) or frame of mind to deal with the hassles recently encountered here.
And just to keep the record straight these two posts are not intended to have folks take "my" side or feel "sorry" for me - I abhor both states and need neither - but just expect general respect for all which I freely offer and not the ongoing attitude by some........
hasta manana and vay con Dios....

Capt. Jas. said:
I love the part about posting on threads whose topics are not of interest. On any other website that would be trolling. Of course that stuff can easily be edited out by moderators.

I think Zonie (and all the staff) would agree with me that were we to start "reducing" others posts for content you would end up only seeing what we, as moderators, know or tend to agree to. And frankly that ain't much of a way to hold conversations. Of course we would much prefer not to wade in and interrupt pissing contests - but that is the moderators job. NOT to keep the forum running but to keep it from overheating, so to speak. Oh, there are a TON of posts I'd like to chop up and toss in the fire, but I'm a HUGE supporter of free speech.

This is your forum. I'm here to learn, myself. I don't have any better of a BS Detector than most, so I try to keep quiet when I don't know or have no documentation or proof. And there is no "Moderator" button that forces others to do the same. There are weeds, disease and annoying insects in any garden. Sorry we can't spray for them here. I apologize if it seems "natural controls" aren't keeping the fruits of our labor from damage and blight.

Well I hope things get better for you, soon.

Just want you and everyone else who has devoted time in learning things of our history and who freely offer what they know is extremely appreciated by more than it may appear sometimes. :v

Swampy said:
And another,
Yup, :hatsoff:

There are weeds, disease and annoying insects in any garden. Sorry we can't spray for them here.

That's little harsh bro, over something as trivial as driving staples in a horns plug.

Twice.

Stumpkiller said:
I think Zonie (and all the staff) would agree with me that were we to start "reducing" others posts for content you would end up only seeing what we, as moderators, know or tend to agree to. And frankly that ain't much of a way to hold conversations. Of course we would much prefer not to wade in and interrupt pissing contests - but that is the moderators job. NOT to keep the forum running but to keep it from overheating, so to speak. Oh, there are a TON of posts I'd like to chop up and toss in the fire, but I'm a HUGE supporter of free speech.

Already being done by someone Stump.

Chuck you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Your knowledge sharing has been appreciated. :thumbsup:

LaBonte said:
Recently the constant contentiousness by the few here no matter the subject or their knowledge or lack of knowledge of a subject, make it just no longer worth it to me...
As has been mentioned, many times, it is possible to "Ignore" (never see) the posts of people who bother you.

I don't know why so many people keep suggesting that they have to quit participating or leave the forum, when a few mouse clicks would solve their problem.

In less time than it takes to write one of those, "I have a problem with some people" posts, they could have solved the problem. :wink:

With all due respect Claude I have tried the ignore button and then reading threads becomes like reading every other page in a book - things too soon become completely out of context - on this matter I speak for myself and only myself and neither do I ask this board or any other to it my way...

LaBonte said:
With all due respect Claude I have tried the ignore button and then reading threads becomes like reading every other page in a book - things too soon become completely out of context - on this matter I speak for myself and only myself and neither do I ask this board or any other to it my way...
Understood. :)

Latest posts

Back