• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder sifting screen?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renovato

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I just recently got into flintlocks. Rather than buy FFFFG for priming or use FFFG, I'd like to try screening my FFFG to get my priming powder. What size screen should I look for? Does anyone know a source for the screen? Thanks. :)

Why not just use 3f for your prime?

Works pretty well. In fact I have had 4f gum up in damp conditions and 3f did not. I generally prime with whatever I load with unless I am at the range in very dry conditions.

CS

It's normally very dry here in the hot desert. Well, except this year where we've had record rains and severe flooding..ugh! Anyway, I figured FFFF would probably be a bit faster on the flash, and sifting it out of my FFF might also make it a bit more consistant. Mostly just to do it. :)

Rebel said:
I don't think you will be able to tell the difference in lock speed between 4f and 3f.

Rebel's correct. The April 2004 issue of Muzzle Blasts contains an article in which I timed samples of Goex 4fg and Swiss 4fg. I also included Goex 3fg and 2fg because of shooters who prime from their powder horn. The difference between 4fg, 3fg, and 2fg is measurable with equipment, but not enough to worry about.

Just as a side bar, I discovered that Swiss 4fg and their NullB priming powder is great stuff, faster than the Goex samples I tested. It is expensive though.

Regards,
Pletch

Plink said:
Hi folks,
I just recently got into flintlocks. Rather than buy FFFFG for priming or use FFFG, I'd like to try screening my FFFG to get my priming powder. What size screen should I look for? Does anyone know a source for the screen? Thanks. :)

I would think a 200+ mesh screen would do the trick, the finer the better...

I have used screens as fine as 220 mesh in the rubber industry, they grab the finest of unwanted objects, so I think that size would serve your needs...

As to where you can get them, you could try Grainger, that is where my shop orders their mesh screen packs...

Grainger

Also, McMaster-Carr Click here for link Look under fine wire mesh...

Musketman, thanks. I had a wonderful shooting session today using 3F but I want to screen anyway, just to experiment if nothing else. Besides, I actually enjoy keeping the different balls, powders, wads, patches, etc sorted. I shoulda been an accountant. :)

Thanks again for the info everyone. BTW, in case nobody else has noticed, flintlocks are addictive! :rotf:

Pletch, maybe I'll sift a bit from the next batch of Swiss I get. That sounds like the perfect compromise. :)

Considering the cost of the screen, why not buy a can of 4f which will last a frequent shooter many years.

Just a thought...

CS

Mostly because it's not available locally and I just placed a 25 lb order for powder, so it'll be a while before I order again.

Have you already received the order or is there still time to call them and have them sub a can of 4f for one of the other cans?

Plink said:
Hi folks,

Got you a set of screens in the mail, you should have them by next weekend... :thumbsup:

By the way MM, i would like to have a new Ranger extended cab 4x4. Think you can have it delivered by next weekend too? :grin:

Many thanks, Musketman. And thanks for all the input, folks. If I find any real benefit to screening, ya'll will be the first to hear about it. :)

Rebel said:
By the way MM, i would like to have a new Ranger extended cab 4x4. Think you can have it delivered by next weekend too? :grin:

Don't make me give you a girly avatar... :shocked2: :rotf:

Hello Musketman I was thinking about ordering a screen also. I seen one but it had a wooden box and all the bells and whistles. I am not wanting to pay in excess of 100.00 though for something I can just use a screen for and a plastic pale or something. If you know where I can get a set of screens I would appreciate any info, thanks in advance

rabbit03

The screens came in tuesday. I haven't screened powder yet, but I have a plinking session planned for thursday if my car get out of the shop in time. I'll post anything I find out. Thanks again. :)

I ordered a pair of 12"x12" screens from[url] http://www.mcmaster.com/[/url] (thanks for the link MM.)

I got 40x40 .015 opening (.015 is the "minimum" grain size for 3Fg.) .010 wire and 60x60 .009 open and .0075 wire. Total cost $20.68 with shipping. Got it in 24hours (they are just "down the road" in IL.

I bought 2 7" dia plastic Needle Work hoops to mount them in.

Last night I screened about 15 lbs of powder at roughly 15 min per 1.5 lb.

I am planning on screening my resultant

Last edited by a moderator:
Back