• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So....you're going to soak the butt of the horn in water to try to loosen the bond. And to the wood this does what? If the maker did not even try to make it airtight, I doubt that the wood inside the horn is sealed at all either. Ide rather lift the pins with a blade, heat the horn and slide the butt out. No stress on the wood. Thats why I set them in wax. Its HC and works.
No you wouldn’t soak the horn on water. I suppose the process would be too difficult for you to figure out. But anyway, if you’re looking to be historically correct (I didn’t see that as a concern by the OP) then TB would be sinful indeed 🤭

^ Umm, Mr. Pathfinder NC, he does damn fine Horn work. I know because I have one and I am planning on getting another one soon. Now, on the other side of the coin, I have seen you post some examples of your work...very nice and well done as well. Lets all just stand down a bit. Both you fellas are fine craftsmen with different opinions... let it go at that.

Respectfully,

RM

After 50 years experience with M/L I have learned a couple of things. Bees wax works great. Just warm and rub it in. A leaky horn has the potential of a bomb, esp. with a F/L. Do not recommend removing the butt, can cause a lot of damage. if you remove it or when making a new horn wax the butt plug and warm it, to assemble. Hold in place with a max, of 4 wooden pins (round tooth picks work great), If you should blow it up, is supposed to blow out the butt plug and not rupture the horn. Have not tried it, have seen the immediate the aftermath of one blowing up. Not recommended. Don't use glue for the same reason. My 2 cents,

Last edited:
After 50 years experience with I have learned a couple of things. Bees wax works great. Just warm and rub it in. A leaky horn has the potential of a bomb, esp. with a F/L. Do not recommend removing the butt, can cause a lot of damage. if you remove it or when making a new horn wax the butt plug and warm it, to assemble. Hold in place with a max, of 4 wooden pins (round tooth picks work great), If you should blow it up, is supposed to blow out the butt plug and not rupture the horn. Have not tried it, have seen the immediate the aftermath of one blowing up. Not recommended. Don't use glue for the same reason. My 2 cents,
Interesting, never thought about the possibility of ember or flash getting in the gap. That would make for a bad day

Latest posts

Back