• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Never owning or using a horn before, I picked this one up at a reputable establishment. I assumed it would keep powder in and moisture/ water out as long as I had the plug in the end. After I filled it up, with a funnel through the tip, I noticed grains of powder were coming out the bottom cap, between the wood and horn. I wasn’t to happy but figured, it wasn’t real expensive either, I live with it, but then I thought about what happens when I’m in the rain. After I emptied the powder back out I blew through the end and it definitely is not air tight. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• A68B9EF4-06A1-45A6-960C-3710950836E5.jpeg
    A68B9EF4-06A1-45A6-960C-3710950836E5.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 95
If it is leaking in 1-2 places, perhaps brush-on crazy glue will help? If it is leaking in more locations, will a coat of polyurethane on the plug work to seal everything?

By wax, I'm pretty sure they are referring to Bee's wax. But I really don't see why paraffin would not work as well.

The 18th century way to fix a leaky horn , is to simply get a cake of bee's wax , end just rub the wax into the holes , and around the big end of the horn , wherever it leaks. The problem you describe was a common problem everybody faced to protect valuable powder. Matter of fact , if you warm up the wax , W/ a hair drier , or just in your pocket for a while , it becomes very ductile , rub it in , and , good to go.

By wax, I'm pretty sure they are referring to Bee's wax. But I really don't see why paraffin would not work as well.
Either one will work. Use what you have available, to seal the base plug.
I have used bee's wax on my horns. I also have paraffin. I usually use that when melting lead for casting round ball.

Use a beeswax candle. Parafin is too brittle when it cools.
Pull those brass brads and rub melted beeswax around the inside perimeter of the horn. Push the plug into the warm wax and the pins as well. Then, hold the horn butt end down with a hair drier to remelt the wax. It will fill the voids. Just make sure you index the way the plug came out/ goes in. Those holes that are drilled into the horn only line up one way.

So....you're going to soak the butt of the horn in water to try to loosen the bond. And to the wood this does what? If the maker did not even try to make it airtight, I doubt that the wood inside the horn is sealed at all either. Ide rather lift the pins with a blade, heat the horn and slide the butt out. No stress on the wood. Thats why I set them in wax. Its HC and works.

Make double sure that horn is empty before putting a candle near it! I’d use beeswax and rub it in and around the entire base plug.. that will take care of your issue. Candle wax will work, just push it in the cracks while it’s warm. Then wipe the excess away with a rag.

Do the same like most of us do when we make a horn. I take a small piece of beeswax and gently rub it in along the seam, leaving a little build up on the outside. Then use a heat gun on low to melt the wax into the seam.after it starts to melt I will usually gently rub it in with my finger or a small piece of smooth leather. I repeat it a couple times. Buff it smooth when done.

I Have my own personal ceramic slow cooker just for such jobs... dont use the Mrs.

.. Melt bees wax with slow cooker.
..Hold the bottom half inch of the large end of the (EMPTY) horn in the hot bees wax.
.. Heat horn with the wax until wax flows from the horn surface when removed. (When the horn is cold the wax will initially bond very thickly to your horn, but soon the wax will melt off).
..Then with the base plug submerged, lightly suck on the spout of the horn to draw a small amount of bees wax up into the voids.
..Remove from wax and wipe clean with a rag.
..Position the horn with base plug down while the bees wax cools.

If your horn has large enough gaps that powder leaks from them... you probably will need to address the larger gaps with a little glue before sealing with bees wax.
Once your horn is powder-tight, the hot bees wax treatment will make it water tight.

Looks like I’ll get some beeswax, hardware store I guess. In hind sight I should have bought one here on the forum from a true craftsman! You get what you pay for. I do appreciate your advice

Looks like I’ll get some beeswax, hardware store I guess. In hind sight I should have bought one here on the forum from a true craftsman! You get what you pay for. I do appreciate your advice

If your hardware store does not have it Hobby lobby usually has bees wax in their leather section. I had some beeswax candles that I used for a similar problem and it worked like a charm.

RM

Back