• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on getting started crafting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been seriously considering trying my hand at making muzzleloading accessories but I haven't the slightest idea where to begin. Any of you makers out there have any advice for me? I'd like to start with pouches, horns, powder measures etc and work my way up to the gunsmithing. I have a sewing machine and a dremel tool I assume those are both going to come in handy.
There's a regular column in Muzzleloader magazine where the guy shows how he does projects just like you mention. Using common materials and techniques. If you're not familiar with the bi-monthly magazine, it's not on newstands any longer but is subscribed directly. Wouldn't be surprised if his past projects are on line, too. Good luck! Such stuff is fun.

I've been seriously considering trying my hand at making muzzleloading accessories but I haven't the slightest idea where to begin. Any of you makers out there have any advice for me? I'd like to start with pouches, horns, powder measures etc and work my way up to the gunsmithing. I have a sewing machine and a dremel tool I assume those are both going to come in handy.
For horn work start with a good how-to book. Scott & Cathy Sibly produced a good one. I might have butchered their name.

The Book”s” of Buckskinning is a great place to start. That’s where I started. Now I have a bookcase full of books on gun building, horns, bags, cartridge boxes, camp equipment, clothes,
etc. Then there is the shelf full of books on 18th century food ways. Preservation, cooking, making, stills, wine etc!
And then there is the thousands of inter web sites and pictures!
You are starting down the long and endless road of the hobby.
I just really like making this stuff. It’s my favorite part of the hobby! 👍🤣👍

The Book”s” of Buckskinning is a great place to start. That’s where I started. Now I have a bookcase full of books on gun building, horns, bags, cartridge boxes, camp equipment, clothes,
etc. Then there is the shelf full of books on 18th century food ways. Preservation, cooking, making, stills, wine etc!
And then there is the thousands of inter web sites and pictures!
You are starting down the long and endless road of the hobby.
I just really like making this stuff. It’s my favorite part of the hobby! 👍🤣👍
I've been really interested in learning to tan hides for my crafts.

I’ve been doing leatherwork, hornwork, etc for over 30 years and half of my projects still start with sitting in front of the materials with a tool in my hand and doubt in my mind. 🤣 Just jump in. I’m about to make a new shooting bag; if you like, I’ll do it as a tutorial on here and you can play along at home. I spend most of my time working in museums in front of the public, so I’m used to doing most things by hand in a relatively historical manner- you’ll want someone else to do sewing machine and Dremel stuff with.
Jay

I've been really interested in learning to tan hides for my crafts.
Matt Richards at Traditional Tanners does classes- for about $130 (materials included) he’ll teach you how to bark tan deerskins. I had an amazing time and learned quite a lot. He does braintan classes, too, but honestly you’ll be fine just buying his book and going for it. Holler if you have any questions.
Jay

Cool ... Just start out with making small , inexpensive, easy to make stuff first and keep working your way up to more difficult stuff a little at a time . Start off with powder measure from horn or antler , then touch hole pick , pan brush ....just some examples ...and keep going ... One of the first things I made was a powder horn and I didnt do.too bad . I still use the third powder horn I made back in the early 90s . Best of luck ...

When you work up to guns, the first thing to do is to throw your Dremel as far away from any firearm as possible. Throwing them into a deep lake is highly recommended by some.
Same with horns! ok for wallering out an antler measure, for everything else not so good. Take a powder horn class ay conners prairie, you won't be sorry.

My advice.......pick easy projects for starters, review pics and methods and just do it.
When I first started playing and singing bluegrass you could hear the whispers in the crowds from critics , but some of the best advice I ever got was from a seasoned player and singer that went like this.........
Don't worry about the critic's because even though you aren't as good as you WILL be.... you're doing something that they aren't, and probably never will do. Just keep at it and don't worry about what they think..... you'll get better.
I kind of feel the same about crafting my own goods........they aren't perfect but I learn as I go and every project is getting better through time and experience.
It's all a learning process,...,.. and you'll be doing something that folks that buy everything aren't doing.
Even if it's not perfect ,stay with........it gets lots better with time and experience and besides...it's enjoyable.
Give it a try and enjoy the ride👍

Back