• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder for flash pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, ignition speed is basically everything in a Flintlock.
I also know from the powder industry that 4F ignites faster than 3F/2F/1F.
I only prime with 4F because it's faster, because I prefer the quick convenience of using a little pocket pan primer, and the shot to shot consistency of having 3grns prime from that pan primer every time.

I use 2F to prime as well as shoot as I load from paper cartridges. I've not had an issue with egnition.

The thing of it is, just this;
Sure 4F is just a minute bit faster than 3F and a little more so than 2F but the effects of all the things you can do to slow down a flintlock are accumulative not individual. Your flint is a little off and a few other small things and pretty quickly you do have a noticeable lag.
So maybe you want to use the best powder for your situation possible. :thumbsup:

The thing of it is, just this;
Sure 4F is just a minute bit faster than 3F and a little more so than 2F but the effects of all the things you can do to slow down a flintlock are accumulative not individual. Your flint is a little off and a few other small things and pretty quickly you do have a noticeable lag.
So maybe you want to use the best powder for your situation possible. :thumbsup:

2571 said:
How do you find a 35mm film cannister these days?

In my trash at the landfill. :redface:
As a former professional photog who wound his own film I had a lot of canisters left over. Including many metal ones. I tossed them a few months ago. Yes, I know one day they will be collectible but you just can't save everything.

2571 said:

In my trash at the landfill. :redface:
As a former professional photog who wound his own film I had a lot of canisters left over. Including many metal ones. I tossed them a few months ago. Yes, I know one day they will be collectible but you just can't save everything.

2571 said:
Google, Ebay, etc...supply & demand have made them a little pricey.
I've used them for years and luckily stockpiled a few hundred of them...when I go to the range, I have large ziploc bags of 50 premeasured charges each:
40/50/60/70/80/90/100/110

053108PremeasuredPowderBags-Bin.jpg

2571 said:
Google, Ebay, etc...supply & demand have made them a little pricey.
I've used them for years and luckily stockpiled a few hundred of them...when I go to the range, I have large ziploc bags of 50 premeasured charges each:
40/50/60/70/80/90/100/110

053108PremeasuredPowderBags-Bin.jpg

I have used 3f works just fine :thumbsup:
Only reason Iam not now is I use 2f ,and have a few cans of 4f it lasts forever when you use a 5g at a time
Have Fun
Phil

I have used 3f works just fine :thumbsup:
Only reason Iam not now is I use 2f ,and have a few cans of 4f it lasts forever when you use a 5g at a time
Have Fun
Phil

I too use 3F but only becuase I have never found any 4F to try. Soon as I do I am going to try a can and see if it makes any difference. May not, the 3F goes off without dealy, but being the curious type I just have to know what the 4F will do. :wink:

I too use 3F but only becuase I have never found any 4F to try. Soon as I do I am going to try a can and see if it makes any difference. May not, the 3F goes off without dealy, but being the curious type I just have to know what the 4F will do. :wink:

15 years ago I bought a case of powder 10# 3fg, 10#2fg and 5 of 4fgg, all i shoot are flint locks since then I have bought 2 cases each of 3Fg and 2Fg. I still have 3 pounds plus counting the open can of 4Fg It goes a LONG WAY!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back