• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock flash guards for competitive tournaments

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really understand your comment about looking for "documentation stating they are flash guards designed to protect someone other than the person firing."
Allow me to clarify then.
We have original examples of devices on weapons and"assume" they are for the same purpose as the modern day flash guards. To identify their original purpose we have only a catalog which lists them as flash guards, something people would naturally call them based on their current knowledge of present flash guards or historians referring to them as pan protectors.

If they are pan guards what do they protect the pan from and how does a thin sheet of iron do that?
Powder in the pan, keep it from blowing while loading and firing. The oldest shown while not being a casting of an original was built using originals as patterns. Originals of non military issue weapons. It is also found on swedish non military weaponry. English fowlers and pistols. If they are to protect firing in formation why are they on sporting guns and pistols? Why is the no record (that I know of) relating to military requiring a device be added to existing guns to update them to the new standard? Why do we have historians specifying their use being to protect the pan rather than other shooters? Just playing devil's advocate. . .

If they are pan guards what do they protect the pan from and how does a thin sheet of iron do that?

That’s because they’re flash guards, they suppress the ignition from the pan and vent. Which is how they protect other shooters in rank and file.

The development of locks saw many changes in how priming flashes were suppressed, raised fences on Brown Bess Pans were one way, tilted brass pans on french guns were another, the Austrians and Germans practiced bolting on sheet steel or brass to the pan.

Last edited:
That’s because they’re flash guards, they suppress the ignition from the pan and vent. Which is how they protect other shooters in rank and file.

The development of locks saw many changes in how priming flashes were suppressed, raised fences on Brown Bess Pans were one way, tilted brass pans on french guns were another, the Austrians and Germans practiced bolting on sheet steel or brass to the pan.
Since you like to use the rifle shoppe as your source. Since you say they are flash guards to protect other people firing in "rank and file" would you PLEASE explain why they would be on a pistol?
http://therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/snaphaunce_weapons/(624).htm

Last edited:
🙄 duhhhhh…. Because you don’t shoot pistols in the manner of muskets.
Do you need a drawing to grasp the idea?
Let me spell it out then. It is argued flash guards are fitted solely on how muskets are fired. Since pistols are fired different why are they found on pistols in their purpose is solely on how muskets are fired?

Since you apparently did not follow the link. . .
Screenshot_20231202-072651.png

Latest posts

Back