• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder charge measuring tube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Elk brand measuring tubes accurate? I use PRB and Triple 7 loose powder in a 45 cal pedersoli rifle.
My Elk tubes are not even close to accurate. They are good for holding a pre measured charge of an already known weight/volume, and that’s it.

Not sure. Only plastic ive put powder in were speed loaders or the jars it comes in. Do some homework, better safe than sorry.

Are they glass or plastic? I found some very cheap plastic tubes on Amazon.
Are they meant for powder? Some plastic can generate static electricity, not a good thing. Try to stay with something meant for powder.
Scheels sells some plastic single shot charge tubes in their muzzle loader section, so I presume they're OK for that use. I haven't opened the package yet, so I can't say how accurate their scale divisions are. I'll check that out with my brass adjustable loading thingie that I've been using all along so far.

Scheels sells some plastic single shot charge tubes in their muzzle loader section, so I presume they're OK for that use. I haven't opened the package yet, so I can't say how accurate their scale divisions are. I'll check that out with my brass adjustable loading thingie that I've been using all along so far.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

I had five nondescript adjustable powder measures. I was suprised at how inaccurate the marked delineations were for different amounts of black powder. I weighed and remarked the graduations according to a rifle powder scale. One of the measures was even 6 gr. off. All five are accurate now. I've been using thinwall brass tubing , and making non adjustable dedicated powder measures , I can attach to a lanyard on my shot pouch.

Is Elk brand measuring tubes accurate? I use PRB and Triple 7 loose powder in a 45 cal pedersoli rifle.
How do you check your powder loader to see if it measures correctly? I have always assumed my measurer was accurate? Now I am wondering.

How do you check your powder loader to see if it measures correctly? I have always assumed my measurer was accurate? Now I am wondering.
🤞I wonder too. Bought one when i bought the gun and never thought about it untill I’ve read that different manufacters are different.
A simple beam-type powder scale should suffice for your needs. I have both Lee and RCBS scales. Both work well.
I have a scale but from what I read "they" say load by volumn not mass. Guess I should weigh a load from my measure to see how much 777 weighs.

🤞I wonder too. Bought one when i bought the gun and never thought about it untill I’ve read that different manufacters are different.

I have a scale but from what I read "they" say load by volumn not mass. Guess I should weigh a load from my measure to see how much 777 weighs.
I weighed a load and then poured the powder into my volume measure to see how close the pre-marked graduations were (or weren't).
At that point I could correct the graduated markings for my load range if need be.

Black powder is measured by volume, true, but using the weighed charge to correct volume markings on my measures has helped in my personal case. I know now where to set my measure to throw 70 grains of a specific powder and not 65 or 75, as an example. We don't need to get too much into the weeds about this. Just do what gives you the best results. Sorry for being so wordy with this. Hope it is somewhat understandable.

Good luck and good shooting.

I weighed a load and then poured the powder into my volume measure to see how close the pre-marked graduations were (or weren't).
At that point I could correct the graduated markings for my load range if need be.

Black powder is measured by volume, true, but using the weighed charge to correct volume markings on my measures has helped in my personal case. I know now where to set my measure to throw 70 grains of a specific powder and not 65 or 75, as an example. We don't need to get too much into the weeds about this. Just do what gives you the best results. Sorry for being so wordy with this. Hope it is somewhat understandable.

Good luck and good shooting.
That's my next step. To weigh and see how much 777 I am really shooting. 😁

popcorn impala.gif

Real black powder will measure fairly close volume to weight. The substitute powders are less dense than black powder but were designed to perform fairly close to the volume measure of black.

A long time ago, I measured the black powder loads of several brands of black powder using about eight volume measures on a balance scale. 3Fg powder was about 1 to 2 grains heavier than 2Fg using a 100 grain volume setting. I did not weigh any substitute powders as I was being very black powder only snobbish and the substitute powder (that I was quite unhappy with the performance) was several years old.

The upshot was while I had slight differences from measure to measure, the differences would not have been significant with respect to performance. When developing loads use only one volume measure. Once that optimal load has been developed, then that volume charge can be weighed for future reference.

Some substitute powders can be more energetic than black powder, so do not use the black powder grain weight to weigh a charge of substitute powders as that may overcharge the gun.

A search for measures using my name will return several charts. These are interesting if not necessarily represtative of the current batches of black powder.

Latest posts

Back