• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern Shot Measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Jim Webb mentions brass, steel and copper tubes plugged with wood being used as powder and shot measures for mountain shotguns, basically military muskets with the rifling shot out and usually cut down to a shorter length. His examples are cut straight across and the plugs just whittled chunks of wood. I turned a fancy plug and I like an angle on the tube to act as a funnel when pouring shot down the barrel.

odd2.jpg

Jim Webb mentions brass, steel and copper tubes plugged with wood being used as powder and shot measures for mountain shotguns, basically military muskets with the rifling shot out and usually cut down to a shorter length. His examples are cut straight across and the plugs just whittled chunks of wood. I turned a fancy plug and I like an angle on the tube to act as a funnel when pouring shot down the barrel.

View attachment 303560
Thank you for reminding me of Jim Webbs name. I make the Southern style tow worms that he illustrated but I had forgot his name

A quick look at the web finds it out of print, but available at a couple of used and rare booksellers for a lot of coin unfortunately.

Mr. Webb's book was reprinted in an expanded, hardbound form by the Contemporary Longrifle Association a couple of years ago. It is still available from them: Sketches of Hunting Pouches... of Southern Appalachia, by Jim Webb. The retail price is $60, but I suppose some vendors may have it cheaper. I bought a copy from the CLA and have no regrets.

If you are into southern rifles, this book will help you outfit yourself with proper accoutrements.

Webb Book 1.jpg

Webb Book 2.jpg
Webb Book 4.jpg

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back