• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

post hawkin here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flyboy ,myself and some others have been kicking around a spot just for the Hawken rifle, real,a factory copy, ect. So much info has been on some of the spots on here the last 6 months or so I'v been on we would have a good base to work with. Now that I have the blessing of Mr John H. we need to get people together kick it around and see if we have a good plan to give to Zonie. Please PT me or flyboy so we can start this out, I would like to hear from Cooner and Tanstaafl if you are intrested. Thank You FRED :hatsoff:

not sure i've got the patience for building one, but i do love the front stuffers. :grin:

3f takes less powder to do the same thing(more shots for the same money.) It's a lot cleaner burning and pressure really isn't a problem in modern rifles. I'd only use 2f if I couldn't get anything else. Heavy charges are unnecessary east of the Mississippi. Griz, elk, bison, etc make then necessary out west. Guns are more accurate with light charges and that's what our forefathers used.

Swampman said:
3f takes less powder to do the same thing(more shots for the same money.) It's a lot cleaner burning and pressure really isn't a problem in modern rifles. I'd only use 2f if I couldn't get anything else. Heavy charges are unnecessary east of the Mississippi. Griz, elk, bison, etc make then necessary out west. Guns are more accurate with light charges and that's what our forefathers used.

Yeah, but out west ... where men are men, and sheeps is nervy ... what iffin we wanna kill somethin ... without bein kilt ournselfs furstest? :hmm: :grin:

Davy

I agree in large bear country, heavy charges should be used just in case you have to dance with a griz.

Swampman said:
You guys need to quit the 2f and get some 3f. Most guns are a lot more accurate with small charges. Why waste powder? The ball comes out the other side and keeps going. They are as dead as they can get at that point.

LOL..oh, I have plenty of fffg and I typically shoot alot less powder than most folks. You can ignore my advice, it was[url] free...in[/url] the old days all powder was close to present ffg. In my early MLing days the rule of thumb was ffg in .50 and bigger, fffg in .50 or smaller. Don Getz, who made great BP barrels for many years, and shoots them alot more than me, has recommended trying ffg in your rifle to see if it works better--better as in more accurate! Personally I have not found a heap of difference in fouling between ffg and fffg, but I'll take your word for it. The difference is certainly minor compared to that between smokeless and BP. fffg does give higher pressures and as long as your rifle is of good steel and well-breeched it should be OK. Getz pointed out that his .54 shoots better with ffg; I had a couple cans (I use it in my .62), so I tried it and it works great with little recoil. I never tried fffg in my old .58, maybe it would have been fine. But for hunting I'd still recommend a higher charge than you propose, unless you plan to shoot them at bow&arrow range. Feel free to ignore the advice.

P.S. accuracy has less to do with powder charge size per se as it does with attaining the proper velocity to stabilize the ball in your twist barrel. Walter Cline tested alot of old rifles and found that round balls tended to be most accurate at about 1400 fps. I don't have my charts handy, but I think you will find that it takes a pretty good load to reach that in a .58.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here it is. Still waiting for rear sight from Thunder-Ridge. Haven't shot it yet. T/C Hawken .50, as if you couldn't figure that out. :grin:

MVC-039S1.jpg

Not that this has a lot to do with it,I think it was in Braids "load" I read about loading 2 patched ball in Hawkens to take out those peskey critters. If you want to read real crazy stuff get MB (from NMLRA for 1.50 each)Jan Feb Mar 86 and read about test of 300,400,500 in a 50cal+5 RBs and no problem!Up to 700 on the 62 + 7 balls . the 36 bulged at 400..50cal 3f 4balls 400 grs and 39,700 psi anyway the Jan issue said what swampman is saying. It's worth the 5 bucks to get these and go over them. Hey Ive got some Express waiting on me I better get. A Hawken ,3f express it dont get much better...well a full custom Hawk would be nice ..... Fred :hatsoff:

Swampman said:
I agree in large bear country, heavy charges should be used just in case you have to dance with a griz.

Can you skin Griz? W'all skin thet one ... n I'll brung ya anuther! :rotf:

Davy

Thanks for the reply Swampman. I think I'll get a pound of the 3F and try it out and compare the results with what I get with 2F.

What does FFFg and FFg have to do with Posting Your Hawken Here?

Maybe we ought to get back to the original post??

Yer Muderator
Zonie

fw said:
Flyboy ,myself and some others have been kicking around a spot just for the Hawken rifle, real,a factory copy, ect. So much info has been on some of the spots on here the last 6 months or so I'v been on we would have a good base to work with. Now that I have the blessing of Mr John H. we need to get people together kick it around and see if we have a good plan to give to Zonie. Please PT me or flyboy so we can start this out, I would like to hear from Cooner and Tanstaafl if you are intrested. Thank You FRED :hatsoff:

Fred, I'm using your quote to try and get this thread back on track. There does seem to be a great interest in Hawken rifles on this forum. I'm really enjoying all of the input. Hope more keeps coming!

It would be real nice to get a spot on this forum that specifically pertains to Hawken and and possibly Underhammer rifles!!

"...It would be real nice to get a spot on this forum that specifically pertains to Hawken and and possibly Underhammer rifles"

The decision as to whether to create a area for the Hawken is something that Claude will have to decide. Zonie don't decide anything 'cept whar ta muuve posts un stuff lik that. :grin:
If the idea is presented to Claude, I'm sure he and the rest of us muderators will consider it and discuss the pro's and con's of it.
But...I think the above quote represents just the tip of the iceberg and reveals one of the problems.

First, let us say we create this Hawken Forum. In order to make some folks happy, we also need a Underhammer Forum. Then a Lyman GPR Forum, a CVA Mountain Rifle Forum , a Ohio Halfstock Forum, a Traditions Rifle Forum and a Pedersoli Precussion Rifle Forum.
But wait...A Enfield Rifle Forum, a Springfield Rifle Forum, a Zouave Forum, a over/under Rifle forum, a side X side Rifle, a Chunk Gun Forum, a Long Range Rifle Forum, a Converted Flintlock Forum, a Southern Rifle Forum, a Pennsylvania/Kentucky Precussion Rifle Forum, a Barn Gun Forum, a Smoothbore Precussion Rifle Forum. I'm sure I forgot someones favorate rifle and I haven't even got to the Flintlocks yet.

I don't want to sound negative but you see where this could lead.
Although the existing format isn't always easy to use, we have the SEARCH Engine which will find every post made with your favorite word in it.

As I say, Claude is an open kind of guy and will consider new ideas if you send them to him.

Zonie

I understand where you're coming from Zonie, but this thread on Hawken rifles has attracted an awful lot of attention. As far as percussion rifles go they seem to be quite prevalant.

Whoowee!!! The possibilities are endless. How about a Dimick Rifle forum while your at it. :rotf:
I like it as is. I think Zonie has it right, you can search for Hawken and get where you want to be. Just my opinion on this head. I like Hawken guns and related firearms as much as anybody and we can discuss them here or on the RMFT Forum or even in The Plains Forum. Just start a new thread when you think this one has been hashed about enough. I'm not saying it has been hashed about enough. I don't think a fellow can hear or say too much about Hawken rifles :grin:
Don

Don, I could'nt agree with you more when you stated "a fellow could'nt hear or say too much about Hawken Rifles". Let's keep this thread going. I'm really enjoying all of the input, especially from the Guru himself, Mr. H!!!

When the idea was given to me thats the first thing I thoght of!! Anyone know what the 52?? TOTW Hawken is , when it was made? thanks. fred :hatsoff:

Zonie said:
.... the above quote represents just the tip of the iceberg and reveals one of the problems.

First, let us say we create this Hawken Forum. In order to make some folks happy, we also need a Underhammer Forum. Then a Lyman GPR Forum, a CVA Mountain Rifle Forum , a Ohio Halfstock Forum, a Traditions Rifle Forum and a Pedersoli Precussion Rifle Forum.
But wait...A Enfield Rifle Forum, a Springfield Rifle Forum, a Zouave Forum, a over/under Rifle forum, a side X side Rifle, a Chunk Gun Forum, a Long Range Rifle Forum, a Converted Flintlock Forum, a Southern Rifle Forum, a Pennsylvania/Kentucky Precussion Rifle Forum, a Barn Gun Forum, a Smoothbore Precussion Rifle Forum. I'm sure I forgot someones favorate rifle and I haven't even got to the Flintlocks yet.

I don't want to sound negative but you see where this could lead.
Zonie

And sooo??? Sounds jest fine ta me! Is there a problem?? :rotf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back