• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

possum recipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pennsyltucky,
To speak of possum meat and turtle meat in
the same sentence,is like speaking of heaven and
hell. :bull:I personally choose turtle heaven to the alterative:barf::barf: the other choice.
Personally I hope you eat so many that they
are put on the endangered list....Not likely
to happen though because as ugly as those rats
are they still find each other attractive.Hmm
snake-eyes

I still and always will say that if an opossum that has been feeding around an orchard or agriculture field can be found it is fine eating. around a squash field, corn field,cabbage patch, apple orchard - etc. a many a moon ago I camped on the South end of the Smokys for a couple weeks in the late fall and found a stand of persimmon trees the likes of I ain't never seen since the ground was covered with fruit of the sweetest sort. the Black Lab I had with me caught a fat young one one night that I scalded and scraped and roasted in a DO. there was not a scrap left of it between the 3 of us. there was also squacks and coons and grouse a-plenty. we ate good there. I would not eat one that had been consuming carrion tho unless I was in bad shape.

I would have to be in bad shape to eat one.period
How do you know what its been eating. Just because it was caught in a persimmon patch don't mean he was there long. Might of had a sweet tooth after eating that buzzard he came accross.

I can remember when I was a kid growing up in Southern Indiana. I was mowing the lawn for an old woman in town. She offered me lunch when I was done and it was 'possum. It looked like she had baked it and on closer examination, it still had one paw attached. I declined the meal but asked why she had cooked it with a paw still attached. She replied "lordy boy, don't you know that's how to tell it's fresh?" I always wondered, fresh as opposed to what, store bought 'possum?

I can remember when I was a kid growing up in Southern Indiana. I was mowing the lawn for an old woman in town. She offered me lunch when I was done and it was 'possum. It looked like she had baked it and on closer examination, it still had one paw attached. I declined the meal but asked why she had cooked it with a paw still attached. She replied "lordy boy, don't you know that's how to tell it's fresh?" I always wondered, fresh as opposed to what, store bought 'possum?

they defintely are 'eaters of opportunity' as are bears and raccons, but they have preferences as I understand them. given a choice they will take the fruit/berrys/mast every time. there's a good sized one coming around my deer feed patch, I threw out a couple of large pumpkins a couple weeks back and at least one 'coon and possum have been around. gives me idea.

Back