• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pocket Remington-1863

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKirk

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Talk to me, Goose.
Any of you who have one of these, I'd like to know more about them.
Pictures would be appreciated.

I ordered a steel frame version for a friend. It was a nice looking gun but didn't work at all. They are built so compact that the caps were rubbing on the inside of the frame and preventing the cylinder from rotating. I shortened the nipples enough to get it to work but every fired cap was a jam. They are much lighter and more compact than the .31 Colt style but I think maybe TOO compact for reliable function. The tiny grips and absence of a triggerguard also makes them a bit awkward to handle. I don't want one.

I bought a brass framed one from Cabelas a few years ago for my Missus. It shot very high, like over a foot @ 50'. The chambers were way smaller than the groove diameter, so I got a reamer and opened them up. Now it uses one of the buckshot sizes, 00 maybe (.327")Yes it helped with the grouping, but still shot way high. She ended up getting a ROA shortly after so the Remmy got pushed to the back of the safe since. Can't tell you much more.

Pietta is the only one I've seen after a few days of web surfing.
They appear to be available in:
*brass
*nickel-plated brass
*blue steel
As much as I like nickel, I think myself personally would stay away from anything brass-framed...even a powder-puffer like this.

That's the problem...I'm a bit skeptical about buying something I've never held.
So, I'm assuming you're giving it the thumbs-down?

CVA sold a brass frame version made by Armi San Marco that are well regarded for having very good timing. They do shoot high and the fix is to replace the front sight.
CVA also sold them as a kit.
These guns can be loaded with buckshot.

I need to hear someone tell me they own one, they shoot one, and they like it. And these are the reasons why...
C'mon fellers, I'd do the same for you!

My son bought a brass framed one. He used/uses it as a hideout gun for one of his civil war impressions. He loads it with 15grains of 3f and oatmeal. He live fired it a few times. I can remember using a coffee can at about 15 feet. he fired at it and the lead bullet went through one and side then zing zing zing as it spun around and around the inside of the can, It never penetrated the other side of the can when all chambers were fired. My son about freaked out because he said it felt like hold a firecracker in his hand. Everything is so close to your hand the bp exploion seems to shoot out between your fingers. He never had a problem with it indexing or caps not fitting the nipples or cap rub. he just will not live fire it anymore. He doesn't like the fire between the fingers and as a firearm I think you would get more damage done if you threw the thing. If I remember right his is a Pietta. Another friend of ours bought one and it was a piece of manure from day one. He had tons of problems with it. My sons works fine till this day. He bought his about 10 years ago.

CaptainKirk said:
That's the problem...I'm a bit skeptical about buying something I've never held.
Yep.

Here it is next to a little H&R .32 I picked up to make a wall hanging of "Saturday Night Specials". Both guns are so tiny you can hardly hold on to them but the H&R does at least fire reliably, no cap jams at all! :haha:
Rem-HR.jpg

rem-HR-2-1.jpg

Here is the CVA version, This one is my son's,
Works and shoots well. He added the taller post front sight.
Can't expect to much power out of these.
Like Coyote Joe, the smaller ones are in the same case. Thats a Colt .32 PP. The CVA out shoots it.
3132jpg.jpg

JDD

CaptainKirk said:

I've never even seen one in person, sO I can't help you there. But if Cabelas has them you could order three, pick the best one and return the others. You could even do like Tuco and sort parts :wink:

arcticap said:
CVA sold a brass frame version made by Armi San Marco that are well regarded for having very good timing. They do shoot high and the fix is to replace the front sight.
CVA also sold them as a kit.
These guns can be loaded with buckshot.
i have had one these for over 15 years have had no problems at all. i ordered a cva , when it arrived it was in a traditions box . hAD CVA paperwork .weird huh?

I've owned a brass framed Pocket Remington for years.
I built it from a kit and removed all Italian identification while building it so I don't remember who made it.

I've shot 1 chamber full thru it once and found that it is just too small for me to shoot accurately. It has almost no real grip size to get ahold of.
Beyond its accuracy I don't recall having any problems with it and I do think it is a neat looking little gun. Kinda like a little baby Remington Army. :grin:

A bit of history per Flayderman's Guide

They were made 1865-1873 with an estimated 25,000 produced. The majority of them sold were made as conversions from the factory or cartridge pistols.

The first model was brass framed with a brass spur trigger sheath. (Fine = $2750)
The second model was iron framed with a brass spur trigger sheath. (Fine = $1200)
The third model was all iron includeing the spur trigger sheath. (Fine = $850)

Prices estimate for 2007

bubba15301 said:
i have had one these for over 15 years
have had no problems at all. i ordered a cva , when it arrived it was in a traditions box .
hAD CVA paperwork .weird huh?

Some of the Cabela's revolvers are also being shipped in Traditions boxes now too.
And to make matters even more confusing, there was a time when Traditions used to sell ASM guns.
I guess that companies get their guns from where they can find them.

It would not surprise me if the big distributors get together and do group buys from Pietta.

It sort of reminds me of how all the oil companies get together and process their crude at the same refineries to save costs for everyone. Then they put in their own additives and have their own little taps at the refinery for the tankers to come fill up on.

arcticap said:
bubba15301 said:
i have had one these for over 15 years
have had no problems at all. i ordered a cva , when it arrived it was in a traditions box .
hAD CVA paperwork .weird huh?

Some of the Cabela's revolvers are also being shipped in Traditions boxes now too.
And to make matters even more confusing, there was a time when Traditions used to sell ASM guns.
I guess that companies get their guns from where they can find them.
mine is an ASM

I recently bought a NIB but old brass frame CVA in a presentation box. It's also ASM. Only have run a couple cylinders thru it. Seems reasonably accurate but also hits quite high. When my round tuit works better I'll fit a taller front sight, smooth the action a bit, & have a look at the chamber diameter/groove diamater relationship.

Back