• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Me Choose My First Trade Rifle Kit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My family lived in Virginia at the beginning of 1700s and by the end of the 1700s were in Spanish Louisiana. They remained in LA until early 1800s and came to Texas. What type of trade rifles would have been around the Louisiana area in late 1700's that I could build from a kit today? Where would you buy from?

My family lived in Virginia at the beginning of 1700s and by the end of the 1700s were in Spanish Louisiana. They remained in LA until early 1800s and came to Texas. What type of trade rifles would have been around the Louisiana area in late 1700's that I could build from a kit today? Where would you buy from?
The Spanish were not favorable to the idea of trade guns of any types. Before Louisiana became Spanish administered, it was French. The French had no problem what so ever trading fusils of various types with natives and citizens. The French and Spanish didn’t have much of a rifle tradition.

A Kibler Woodsrunner or Colonial would fit the criteria.

The history of the Gulf Region is absolutely fascinating. Daniel Boone explored and considered settling in the Gulf region in the 1760s before he went through the Gap into Kentucky. Rebecca Boone absolutely refused.

There is a rifle culture in the Gulf at the times mentioned.
Many who located there were displaced Loyalists.
It’s really to big to get into in one post.

Again, Woodsrunner, Colonial or any 18th Century PA, Virginia or Southern type would be correct for the region.

Remember there were New Orleans riflemen at the Battle of New Orleans, 1815.
One rifle survived, it is a Sheetz Virginia rifle.

Back