• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pipe Tomahawk Smoking?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graybeard

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How about smoking? Has anyone actually smoked tobacco in one of those metal bowls? graybeard

'morning,

Mine has a steel bowl, and smokes rather nicely. Due to the long handle, it's a nice, cool smoke. Just make sure that the clean out plug is snug or you won't get good draw.

I just use the normal pipe tobaccos that I enjoy in my "normal" pipes. Fire source has been matches or lighter.

Calum

I have a brass one with steel edge. Smokes ok, but it's less then handy. You couldn't chop wood with it, it's too big to carry as a pipe, it has a tiny bowl so it smokes too quick. You have to hold it buy the handle as the blade ges to hot.

tenngun said:
I have a brass one with steel edge. Smokes ok, but it's less then handy. You couldn't chop wood with it, it's too big to carry as a pipe, it has a tiny bowl so it smokes too quick. You have to hold it buy the handle as the blade ges to hot.
I've always thought pipe tomahawks were the worst of both worlds - not a good pipe or hawk.

I only smoked my tomahawk once. Fitting a new handle was a lesson. Now I am careful not to leave it too close to the fire............ :wink:

I smoke both brass and forged iron pipehawks I have, on hunts and relaxing at home, and enjoy it. Pipe tobacco or tobacco/kinnikinnick blends. Both hawks are sizeable with long handles and I have never had an issue with them (or the smoke) being too hot. It's just plain fun! Would a modern pipe work better? Maybe, but I suppose a modern rifle would outperform my flintlocks too... Plus a clay pipe couldn't be used to defend against hostiles! :grin:

Latest posts

Back