• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pillow ticking question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS: Besides being highly informative, this Forum is also highly entertaining and amusing. :grin:

The most innocent query or comment can elicit endless debate and argument, fortified by conflicting experience.

The best bang for your buck on the internet. :haha:

Richard/Grumpa

Smokey Plainsman said:
I think the real question that needs to be asked is which direction do the lines need to go?

:rotf:

Diagonally silly.

FNmtScz.jpg

Actually, that's what it looks like when I cut at the muzzle...Everything comes out square.... :idunno:

Precut round patches, everything comes out round. :hmm:

Colorado Clyde said:
Smokey Plainsman said:
I think the real question that needs to be asked is which direction do the lines need to go?

:rotf:

Diagonally silly.

I forgot to explain why I load diagonally.

If you load with the stripes horizontally or vertically all you will be able to shoot is pluses +, minuses -, or equals= .....but, if you load diagonally you will shoot X's all day long. :grin:

Grumpa said:
PS: Besides being highly informative, this Forum is also highly entertaining and amusing. :grin:

The most innocent query or comment can elicit endless debate and argument, fortified by conflicting experience.

The best bang for your buck on the internet. :haha:

Richard/Grumpa

I agree, it has been a great (ticking?) thread. :grin:

If you load with the stripes horizontally or vertically all you will be able to shoot is pluses +, minuses -, or equals= .....but, if you load diagonally you will shoot X's all day long.

I am convinced you are wrong.

This has been discussed and discussed over the years here.

The definitive answer previously was, you had to load while facing north and align your patch stripes East and West to accountant for the earth's rotation.

Should you be south of the equator, face south and perform the operation.

Richard Eames said:
Coloradoclyde said:
If you load with the stripes horizontally or vertically all you will be able to shoot is pluses +, minuses -, or equals= .....but, if you load diagonally you will shoot X's all day long.

I am convinced you are wrong.

This has been discussed and discussed over the years here.

The definitive answer previously was, you had to load while facing north and align your patch stripes East and West to accountant for the earth's rotation.

Should you be south of the equator, face south and perform the operation.

Loading as you suggest makes your shots "directional".. That's all fine and dandy if your range is facing in the right direction......Loading diagonally allows you to shoot in any direction...This is more suited to hunting.... :grin:

I gotta go get a compass from my wife, she was always asking which direction is what. She got a compass for Christmas.

Sir, I always read your posts and know you are an educated person and have knowledge that others do not have.

Now, I have to go find my dictionary since my wife is not home.

That's because Clyde, like so many of us old timers here has a PHD degree (PILED HIGHER AND DEEPER) in most things muzzle loader! :rotf:

Do you use a rare earth magnet or any old magnet. Barrel placement is very important, do forget!

Michael

meanmike said:
Do you use a rare earth magnet or any old magnet. Barrel placement is very important, do forget!

Michael

Neither....I magnetize the barrel. That way when perfectly balanced in my hand, it points north on it's own....

Back