• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Percussion Hawken Target Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that that is a great rifle, Pedersoli puts out quality stuff. If your asking for info to make a purchase, other than a custom built this one is one of the better available. Get it. Or, if ya did get it and ya got it, SHOOT IT!

This is an original Sam Hawken Squirrel Rifle (below).

The Pedersoli looks close enough to me - no, not a Plains Hawken, but they made "other rifles" as well as shotguns and pistols.

The RM and MR versions are getting up there in price, I "suspect" Pedersoli made this new model to market at a "more affordable" price point - but if the quality on this is like their other guns you would be in possession of a fine rifle.

both%20side%20views_zps7cdwgihn.jpg

My son owns a Pedersoli Traditional Hawken but it has modern back sights.

I believe Pedersoli must be changing stuff on their line up.

It use to be Traditional Hawken (with modern back sight) and Hunter Hawken but now they have added Target to Traditional and gave them buckhorn back sights.

The Hunter has a 1:24 twist and the Traditional Target Hawken has 1:48.

To me they are over priced but they are semi nice. I bought my son's for a little better than half price in The Bargain Cave at Cabela's since it has a very small chip on the stock. I do believe it is worth the $248 I gave for it.

Now the Rocky Mountain Hawken and the Missouri Hawken are bigger guns and way more expensive but very nice in my opinion and I do understand how somebody would pay $1000 + for one but I am waiting until December when they go on sale for $800.

for what pedersoli wants, you can add a few hundred more and order a brand new green river rifle works hawken for around $1800 which is custom built. :2

FML said:
for what pedersoli wants, you can add a few hundred more and order a brand new green river rifle works hawken for around $1800 which is custom built. :2
This is not the Pedersoli Missouri or Rocky Mountain Hawken we are talking about. The one the OP is referring to runs around $640 http://www.cherrys.com/ped_rif1.htm

This is what it costs at Cherry's

The OP is talking about the Traditional Hawken Target Model. Alot cheaper than a GRRW Hawken that you are proposing.

Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! a .010 patch will work fine but might want to try a thicker patch as well!

When I started, I used the .010 prelubed patch in my .50 Cal. and it worked quite well. I was using a .490 ball, Goex 3F 60gr. and a .10 prelubed patch.

Accurracy was pretty good. Was shooting shot groups of 2" at 50 yards.

Since then I lube my own patches and use a .015 patch. Little harder to start but achieved even better accuracy.

You have to experiment with different load and patch combinations to find out what your rifle likes best.

Each rifle has their own personalities when it comes to what patch/load combination to use.

You have to just do your part with a little experimenting to find out what gives your rifle the best accuracy at a given distance.

Most will say the thicker the patch will grip the rifling in your bore tighter and give better accuracy.

Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

Back