• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli bounty hunter vs kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazz1975

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone shoots a pedersoli bounty hunter flintlock pistol . Wonder how it compares to their kentucky flintlock?

One has a longer barrel and the other has a shorter barrel. Balance is not the same.

With the much longer barrel, the bounty hunter is so front heavy that it pretty much requires a rest under the barrel to utilize the range and accuracy the longer barrel offers. The other thing, is the straight barrel. Whether a significant change in balance can be made by tapering the barrel, I don't know.

There is a video floating around on-line of a guy here in PA bagging a doe with his flintlock bounty-hunter. Some states have a minimum barrel length requirement. So the kentucky style pistol does not qualify for hunting in some states that require a 12 inch barrel. Here in PA we have a 50 cal min. for deer, but no barrel requirement.

There are a few cheaper traditions and CVA long guns with pistol grip stocks. I bought one to cut down into a pistol. I figure a 12 inch barrel is plenty. The whole rifle cost me $100.00. I will cut the barrel and cut new sight dovetails. The gun already has the ram rod hole, a hooked breech and barrel wedge system. I would move the rear sight to the breech to gain sight radius.

I like the bounty, I don't have but i do have 50cal with 16" barrel 1-48 twist and i do shoot it better with a rest usually sitting and using my knees ,with this rest i can shoot 3 1/2 " groups at 50 yds with 50 grns FFg . One good thing about this gun is that i can hold it way out there so i can see the sights :grin: .

I was going to post a link to here and tell folks that they could go there (Numrich Arms-) and buy the kit versions (perc. or flinter, .45 or 50,) of Pedersoli's Kentucky pistol for as low as $267.95 (.45 perc.), but most folks here already know it.

Back