• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica River

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree w/ Birddog6 and that's the reason I "build from a blank"...a lot fewer "headaches". Judging from the few "kits" I've built LRs from, there are way too many "oops"...perhaps I'm too "fussy", but from my experiences, buying a "kit" or a precarve and assemblage of parts, is a gamble.

I think we're all familiar w/ "modern day so called quality", so why should " kits" from these suppliers be any different....profit is the foremost factor......Fred

I too have an over inletted stock from TOW. I have had to add metal to my lock plate, side plate and trigger guard. Now I have to make the thumbpiece by hand. I could have sent it back, but after 6 monthes they STILL don't have new ones in. Don't have the time to wait.....
20140620_095241_zpsxzn8pbcn.jpg

Ya know I had one issue and they sent me a new stock. But what I did notice is if you don't place the order with Dick , its going to get messed up. Sometimes I think who ever takes the order to fill isn't paying close attention. Keep in mind they did fix the problem with out issue.

Beaver T.

Well heck, after reading these experiences it makes a fella nervous about ordering any pre-cut, pre-inletted kit/parts set. Especially for us rookies. I could easily be very deep, many hours into a project before I'd even realize there is a flaw. :doh:

Thats what happened to me. Some parts and the lock were backordered and I didn't receive them for 3 months. I was pretty deep into the stock with the parts I did have when I finally recieved them and realized I was kinda screwed.

Don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic kits/parts sets out there. Just make sure you have all your parts and make sure ALL the pre inlets are undersize for the parts. My fusil will actually be better than an out of the box kit once I'm done, since I had to customize the parts. Alot of extra work for what it all cost though. 10 hrs of tig welding!

Just rode up to see them yesterday and pickup my first kit from them. A Virginia 45 cal Green Mountain flintlock. They have been super to deal with. They are currently out of the Chambers large Siler locks so that is on back order but I have the rest of the kit. This is supposed to be my winter project so I guess I will see how much resolve I have to wait until January! Greg. :)

Latest posts

Back