• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch lube I formulated? Any idea of if I'm alright on this

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt LaManna

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I took the following items and came up with this:

1) 1 Tsp. of Oil of Wintergreen
2) 2 Tsps. of liquid Ballistol
3) 2 Tsps. of purified water

Mixed it became cloudy and a little thicker than I expected. Smells nice, maybe a little strong.
I thought I'd try it out next trip to the actual range.
My question, is there any problems that might
come into play using this stuff, that any of you may have experienced?
I just wanted something a little cleaner in the bore than straight Ballistol. It seems to get too gummy and clogs up the barrel vent pretty quickly.
I'll replicate some other things like seeing if it freezes in the fridge and see if it burns with a lighter held under the patch.
Thanks for any ideas!

I would mix my ballistol with 7 parts water and forget the wintergreen, unless you just want the smell, and then I would only use a drop or two. You're right, it isn't for cold weather. I use mink oil or Old Zip in cold weather.

Sounds delicious. :wink:
I do have to wonder why the nice smelling oil and why purified water?
As suggested, just diluted Ballistol will do fine. As will a thousand other concoctions of patch lube.
Whatever works is all that matters.

Back