• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant the gun cotton Billnpatti mentioned.

Although I'm careful I still don't like the idea of messing with or storing acids.

Isn't saturating salt peter in water and soaking paper in it and drying all there is to nitrating paper?

Don’t hold me to this but if I remember right cigarette paper is nitrated already when you buy it.
It is used to slow down the burning rate.

That was why I went to flash paper for mine

William Alexander

After reading thru the attached document about cigarette paper I don't see one mention of nitrating cigarette paper to slow down its burn rate.

I do see that potassium citrate along with a lot of other things are used for this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2873202/

Potassium Nitrate is an oxidizer which releases oxygen when it is heated to around 1200 degrees F.
This oxygen is what allows black powder to burn. It will do the same thing for the cellulose in paper.

Back when I was making paper cartridges for a Sharps, I tested various papers by burning samples and seeing how much ash was left.

The papers with the least ash and the best combustion were tamale wrapping paper (El Guapo brand, readily available in Arizona grocery stores) and Subway's sandwich wrapping paper.

Both papers were superior to cigarette papers.

I've seen it said somewhere (net) that cigarette papers are nitrated, but it doesn't seem right to me. If we are nitrating paper to give a quick complete burn it doesn't seem as though it would slow the burn rate for cigarettes.

You guys ought to try those square hair rolling papers sold in beauty supply shops. I use them for my Sharps cartridges and they work very well. Generous size, thin paper but surprisingly strong. I use a glue stick.

I used to be a heavy smoker, and found the name brand cigarette I smoked apparently uses chemicals (again) that are addictive all by themselves as I tried a little test with one that has none, and I was left feeling as though I needed another!

So I switched to American Spirits as they are all natural, but the cost was a bit much for me. However they also sold a can of roll 'em yourself tobacco, and I bought a cigarette rolling machine with filtered tubes. So I have a box of rolling papers.

Latest posts

Back