• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PAF 1851 navy colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txaggie08

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking at one at our local gander mountain for 199$. I dearly love revolvers, and muzzleloaders, and this gun struck me as something I would enjoy.

It is a .44cal(which I thought was only in the "army" version but...), and I believe is the brass frame(I think they have one of each).

I have a good bit of experience with my .50cal long guns, but pistols are a bit out of my range of knowledge(wel....cap and ball anyway ;)). Is this a decent way to start? It LOOKS to be a decent period representation of the piece, how does it hold up under usage?

There is some debate on the subject but in general a brass framed pistol is weaker than a steel framed gun. For this reason, owners of brass framed pistols are urged to use reduced powder loads when firing it.

From a historical standpoint, the .44 caliber 1851 pistol never existed (although Colt may have used a few of them to try his rebated cylinder idea before going ahead with his 1860 ARMY.
Colt never made a brass framed revolver however, the Confederates did use brass for the frames of most of the revolvers they made during the war.

IMO, if you are saying the price is $199, it is too much to pay.
Cabela's has steel framed Colt and Remington revolvers for less than that price.
IMO, a Brass framed .44 cal 1851 should go for around $140 new and $100 used.

Not sure what you are referring to with PAF, but you can get brass framed 1851 navy for less than $199. [url] http://www.cabelas.com/cabela...indexId=cat20817&hasJS=true&_requestid=153108[/url]

Sorry about the long link. Others here will certainly know more than I, but I have heard that you have to keep your loads light in the brass frames or they will shoot loose.

My dad has the .44 new army in brass and so far it has been great! He has had lots of warnings about that eventually shooting loose as well. So far so good. If you look at the reviews for the brass navy though, they seem to be very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry should have been "FAP"

This is the gun I'm talking about:

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-pietta/pietta-1851-navy.shtm

I think tomorrow I will go to one of our local gunshops and see what they have to offer....maybe also try academy.

If you do some reading on the net, you will see lots of chatter about what maker is better, but from what I have read both the major makers are very close in craftsmanship.

From what I have found on the net, those prices seem a bit high. I will be purchasing a colt navy in the steele frame. I am fortunate to have a good supplier in Oregon. "sportsmans werehouse" sells the steele frame for $160.00

These are the Uberti brand.

You will be much better off with a steel framed gun. Pietta is O.K. and Uberti may well be a bit better. If historical accuracy is not important to you then the .44 is fine, otherwise the .36 is the way to go. If it were me, and I wanted a .44 belt pistol, I would get a '60 Army. Either gun is nicely balanced, but the '51 Navy is probably the best in this regard of all the C&B revolvers.

I've got one brass frame and one steel frame copy of a 1860 army in .44. I think I paid around $199 new for the steel frame from cabelas, and it shoots way better than the brass frame with the same powder charge. I also have a uberti walker, but I think the pietta steel frame is the best of the three.

001.jpg

Howdy txaggie08!

If you are where I think you are, it would be worth the drive to the Cabelas in Buda. Or use the Links section here and comparison shop.

James
(txaggie86)

Howdy! Fellow Texan, I would recommend that you go this route: ($185 +shipping but no sales tax)

RH0210.jpg

Link to Dixie Gun Works

I have purchased quite a few items and guns from these folks - very very good to work with.

This is a 36 Caliber which is correct for the model. Do not think that a 36 will be any less fun to shoot than a 44 - they "pop" a lot more than you would expect, and shooting is less expensive. They also tend to be quite accurate.

Many will recommend this model and caliber for a first purchase - and I can't disagree.

Merry Christmas!

I think it's Pieta - but I would call Dixie to be sure if you want to know before you order.

You might also try Buffalo Bills shooting store in Orlando Fl. (they have a website). I picked up a nice Pieta Colt 1836 Patterson new in the box for $250 plus shipping. They have both long and short(pistols) BP guns. I also have brass framed pistols. Since I do civil war reenacting both sides a brass frame is appropriate for the south. I live fire both types of pistols and as long as I do not over load the brass I feel that it will last a long time.

I just looked up on one of my links The Possible Shop has a 1851 colt for $165 plus shipping[/i]

Unfortunately my pistol plans will be pushed back until after Christmas. I walked into a local gun store and lo and behold, my very first shotgun is hanging on the wall with a hundred dollar price tag on it. Dad had sold the gun to buy my current squirrel piece the year he passed away. I dearly loved that little gun, I have the matching .22 hornet my grandfather gave me. To find it again after 12yrs was something I could not pass up. I only have a few things that my father owned, and to have this one return to my hands, to be passed on to my children someday, was worth more than a pistol.

That being said, I also may look into a walker or patterson instead of an army now :D

Any gun with a personal family history is priceless! That is great that you were able to get the shotgun back :thumbsup: I have a 1947 topper single shot breech load 12ga. I think it's value in mint condition is $100-$150, but because it was the first gun I ever owned, it is priceless to me.

Good luck with the revolver purchase when you get to it.

Back