• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ordered a uberti navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I ordered a uberti. 36 Navy. I went with the brass trigger guard and backstrap. To me I just like the looks of the brass. I also ordered a era gone 36cal colt conical mold. Fingers crossed I get a good uberti and it shoots the conical bullets well. Figured I could shoot it with a broken collarbone if my son or wife loads it lol.

Well, I ordered a uberti. 36 Navy. I went with the brass trigger guard and backstrap. To me I just like the looks of the brass. I also ordered a era gone 36cal colt conical mold. Fingers crossed I get a good uberti and it shoots the conical bullets well. Figured I could shoot it with a broken collarbone if my son or wife loads it lol.
I agree. I like the two tone looks of the brass trigger guards and backstrap on those Navy's.

Do you have to reprofile the gun for the paper cartridge with conicals to turn under the loading lever?
I had to in my Walkers and 1860 Army.

I like my Navy.

I love mine, bought about the same time I got my 58 Remington.36. I really expected to like the Rem better cause I always wanted that, bought the Colt as a what the heck I’ll get this too.
Nothing against the Rem but the Colt with open top feels more ‘primitive’. The Rem almost feels like a modern pistol.
You will love it.

I think you will need to modify the barrel loading area for the conical bullet on your Colt clone:dunno:. I think that the Remington's are the ones that work with the conical bullets except for the rammer nose shape - check out duelest1954s videos he does a good job of explaining it:thumb:.

Have that bullet mold on order

@ZUG suggestion or Era's Gone Bullet Molds on utube has tutorials on what fits, what does not, and how to correct that.

I think you will need to modify the barrel loading area for the conical bullet on your Colt clone:dunno:. I think that the Remington's are the ones that work with the conical bullets except for the rammer nose shape - check out duelest1954s videos he does a good job of explaining it:thumb:.
A properly made 1851 Colt clone will have the below shown relief cut in the barrel shank to accomadate loading of conicals:
DSCN1508[1].JPG

This happens to be a 2nd Gen Colt, but its main parts are of Uberti manufacture. I have a copy of a Colt mould that casts a 90 grain conical and 77 grain round ball. The conical is more round nose than cone shaped, it is also stepped to allow it to align with the chamber and cuts a ring of lead for a good seal. I use the same lubed wads under either round ball or conical in lieu of grease over the projectile.

A properly made 1851 Colt clone will have the below shown relief cut in the barrel shank to accomadate loading of conicals:View attachment 233375

@Ballshooter, I think most of us assumed that your OP referred to an 1851 Navy, as opposed to the 1861 Navy, correct?

I am no expert! But… I read a lot and I look at photos of originals. Notice the frame cutout for loading (I call it a loading port) in the photo I’ve shared of an original (pic from the Smithsonian). Someone who knows about 1851 model variants can explain whys, wherefores, etc. The point is some originals had generous loading ports like this original and others had very small ports like the reproduction that @Griff093 shared.

I have several 1851 repops, Colt 2nd gens and a couple of Ubertis. They all have the small loading port like the one that Griff093 shared and like many originals. I could not load the Eras Gone Colt Cartridge Works conical in any of them, especially in paper cartridges. Even round balls barely clear Ubertis knife-sharp edges.

I took an Uberti with a five-inch barrel that I love to shoot and reshaped the offending loading port with a Dremel tool and lots of wet/dry sandpaper. I think it came out close enough to the originals that I was trying to mimic and I can now shoot conicals. But - funny thing - round balls are more accurate for me. (Photo attached.)

I’m assuming Piettas will be entirely different. I only have one Pietta 1851, a brass frame that I converted to a Griswold & Gunnison. It already had a large loading port like the original G&Gs I’ve seen in photos.

Attachments

• 718CCA91-DDDB-4C67-973D-40FA1E03B584.jpeg
    718CCA91-DDDB-4C67-973D-40FA1E03B584.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 62F29C46-6AA6-4906-B4DC-AF58ECD716BD.jpeg
    62F29C46-6AA6-4906-B4DC-AF58ECD716BD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back