• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French Grey finish ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm still new to these cold browning solutions , ive used Birchwood Casey for every build but these last two BUT ....with B.W.C. a French grey is easy to achieve as what ever you hot brown with that solution the next day its grey ....then you keep adding more solution and heat to go to brown stage so ....my question ..... Can French Grey finish be achieved with Mountain Laurel or .....he// , what's that other one called ? Can't remember right now ... Homer Dangler ! ......Well , I can't use heat for B.W.C. because I have non removable inlet metal parts in the stock otherwise I'd just use B.W.Casey again ....but not possible with this build . I think a French Grey look would look really good .... Any who ....thanks for any input

I'm still new to these cold browning solutions , ive used Birchwood Casey for every build but these last two BUT ....with B.W.C. a French grey is easy to achieve as what ever you hot brown with that solution the next day its grey ....then you keep adding more solution and heat to go to brown stage so ....my question ..... Can French Grey finish be achieved with Mountain Laurel or .....he// , what's that other one called ? Can't remember right now ... Homer Dangler ! ......Well , I can't use heat for B.W.C. because I have non removable inlet metal parts in the stock otherwise I'd just use B.W.Casey again ....but not possible with this build . I think a French Grey look would look really good .... Any who ....thanks for any input
Phosphoric acid I’m told works .

Vinegar, mustard will do it. I added BWC to my mix and it created a blueish tint as well. Old school traditional method!

Last edited:
I'm not a builder, so can only speak from novice experience with one barrel and knife blades. Vinegar darkened blades seem to hold up well. I tried to get a nice grey on a barrel left inches white, couldn't get it to darken enough. Resorted to cold blue rubbed back,,, it just doesn't hold up well, it wears through very easily. Are the non-removable parts you speak of going to be handled a lot?

I'm not a builder, so can only speak from novice experience with one barrel and knife blades. Vinegar darkened blades seem to hold up well. I tried to get a nice grey on a barrel left inches white, couldn't get it to darken enough. Resorted to cold blue rubbed back,,, it just doesn't hold up well, it wears through very easily. Are the non-removable parts you speak of going to be handled a lot?
The thumb plate will be rubbed a bunch

Attachments

• IMG_20230811_131553.jpg
    IMG_20230811_131553.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
I spent an entire day with pure phosphoric acid and didn’t like the look.
Next day I rubbed it back, used a cold blue (phosphoric and selenic acids), couple coats rubbed back and viola’, looked good in an hour.
It’s not real durable but maybe nature will catch up with it.

I've done two with Oxpho Blue paste rubbed back and it's holding up reasonably well but is getting shinier in the areas of frequent handling. Easy to touch up. I use a heat gun to get the metal hot so it takes better and leave it full-blue below the stock line because I find it really slows down rust formation on otherwise "white" barrels compared to waxing them or rubbing them down with RIG. Just blue and oil really well before installing the barrel.

I get a good grey finish with several water diluted applications of Jax black with scothbrite drawbacks.
I did the same. This was not my best effort with the lock as it turned out blotchy imo, but the barrel was spot on for the look I wanted. Unfortunately, I didn’t grasp the best pictures if the barrel. You can see a few glimpses of the barrel in these photos which are consistent in real life.

Attachments

• IMG_5476.jpeg
    IMG_5476.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5472.jpeg
    IMG_5472.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5480.jpeg
    IMG_5480.jpeg
    875.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5479.jpeg
    IMG_5479.jpeg