• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Older Pedersoli Shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roguedog

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,
While I already have a Pedersoli double barreled shotgun in 12 gauge with the removable chokes, I was able to acquire another one today.

A friend of a friend passed away and the family was selling his guns. One of the guns they were selling was a Pedersoli double barrel 12 gauge. The gun in questions has no interchangeable chokes and came in an interesting brown color. I paid $350 for the gun.

The thing I noticed right off is that this gun is much lighter than the Pedersoli double gun I bought in 2003. It also looks like it might have a few years on it. A lot of the guns that the guy owned were 70's vintage.

Anyway, anybody ever seen a Pedersoli double barrel shotgun with brown barrels?

Jeff

Oh well, it's a nice piece to add to my collection. The bores are shiny and in good condition and overall the gun looks nice and appears to have been well cared for. It should make a nice upland bird, rabbit and squirrel gun.

All the proof markings are on the underside of the barrel. I see the numbers 18 3 on both of the barrels. Could these numbers represent the barrel constriction in millimeters? If so, I believe that both barrels would be considered improved cylinder.

All in all, it is considerably different than the more modern Pedersoli shotgun I have now, in a good way. I like having a double barrel that is light and handy and points quickly. Even if I paid more than its worth, $350 for a good working gun is okay with me, especially since I have never seen one of these types of guns for sale.

Thanks for the reply Rifleman.

Jeff

That's spot on Spence. It looks to be almost exactly like your gun.

Do you like yours?

Jeff

Roguedog said:
All the proof markings are on the underside of the barrel. I see the numbers 18 3 on both of the barrels. Could these numbers represent the barrel constriction in millimeters? If so, I believe that both barrels would be considered improved cylinder.
Not constriction measure, but basic bore measure. That 18,3 is Italian for 18.3 and indicates size of the bore in millimeters. Since 1 inch equals 25.4 mm, that's 18.3/25.4 or .72 inch, 12 gauge.

Mine are also marked KG1,320, which is KG1.320, 1.320 kilograms, the weight of the barrels. One kilogram equals 2.2 pounds, so that's 2.9 pounds. Weight of my gun is 5 lb. 14 oz., I think.

Spence

It's a very handy, lightweight gun in the field, and has always been totally reliable as to ignition, shoots good patterns. Length of pull on mine is 14" to the front trigger, correct for me, but the stock is a bit straight for me. After a few years I bought the next offering from Navy at the time, a SxS 12 gauge Pietta which fits me better. I think you'll like it.

Spence

I think one would be hard pressed to find one for sale for $175. I've been looking for a decent double for some time and haven't seen rough shooters in that price range. Maybe and old wall hanger.

I have one that had been a kit. I also have a 10 gauge from that era, but it is blued. Navy Arms sold a browned 12 gauge from that era. I consider those old Pedersolis to be near perfect upland guns. The ones I've seen for sale on TOW have been closer to double than to half the price.

If you decide to dump it, against my advice, pm me.

I have the same gun, dated early 70's. I got mine recently seemingly unfired! Shoots great, handles well.

I'm not sure who thinks the gun is only worth $175, that's crazy!

Darn nice looking shotgun. It looks like it has a more useful larger ramrod than most of them do.

Is it choked?
Chrome bored?

I am looking for a non- chromed / non - taper choked double to have jug choked, so the wads load easier, and I can have an easier time shooting patched balls.

I've never seen a used one of that general type priced less than $350 to $400,and I get around quite a bit.

Some years back I bought one at a local gun store off the rack as new. Fit and finish were flawless and the 20" 12 ga beautifully browned barrels were chrome lined. This was only some 14 years ago and I think the gun had resided in back for a good spell prior to being put out front. I had to sell the gun a few years ago and still miss it.

Being very short barreled it was a lot of fun to shoot and to carry. Here's a pic or two of it.

smoothshooter said:
I am looking for a non- chromed / non - taper choked double to have jug choked, so the wads load easier, and I can have an easier time shooting patched balls.
Erm, Hmm, would the barrel walls be thick enough to handle jug choking.
If so that may be the overall answer to choke & loading.
Davide Pedersoli are you watching this forum ?
O.

Back