• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old wives tale?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Lickety Flint"! :crackup: :crackup:

ROFL....Okay! :RO: The things one learns as we pass through life. :redthumb:

Russ

My agency does a lot of hazmat training and response I can't image putting a drug into my mouth to test it. Drugs=hazmat. Besides, what the h*ll does heorin taste like and how does he know?

I would love to be that kids FTO. I would slap him so hard.

Long ago..back in the late 50's Dragnet TV series (in black & white), they said they would touch a little to their tongue to test the purity of it. Said they used to cut it with quinine (SP?) which is really bitter. If it wasn't bitter it was very pure. Of course the cops were immune to any of the effects from tasting it.

Had a friend tell me his black powder gunsmith said you should keep unused flints in oil, until used. What is your take?

I purchased a few flints from Dixie Gunworks a few years back that had been recovered from a America bound ship that sunk in the Thames river in 1803. They were recovered in the early 90's I believe. I found they fit my tradegun perfectly so I installed one and after almost 200 years under water it fired fine.

I vote for putting them in oil as bunk.

I confer with the idea that oil might not be good for flints. It would only threaten reliabilty as it might lubricate the flint/frizzen contact and squelch sparking? I'm not sure if oil would penetrate the areas between the molecules of the flint. Oils are bigger and might not ooze into the rock like water?
Water might be useful, though, when finished knapping into shape, as it definitely changes the nature of the flint. If I remember correctly, and I seldom do anymore, I have heard of knappers, perhaps, burying their flint cores? I was told flint "dries out" and becomes more brittle.
I never was of the notion that I needed to do anything to flints to get satisfactory service. If it will break with that tell-tale conchoidal fracture, it will probably fire in a good lock. I believe that big word means, loosely, it breaks like glass?
I've never tried glass, but have some nice leaf shaped points made from thick glass. Hmmmmmmmm. I wonder.... :yakyak:

Flint doesn't go bad when left buried in the dirt for eons; so I think I'll just bury mine in a flower pot until I'm ready to use them. :haha: It makes as much sense to me as storing them in oil.

Flint doesn't go bad when left buried in the dirt for eons; so I think I'll just bury mine in a flower pot until I'm ready to use them. :haha: It makes as much sense to me as storing them in oil.

If you bury them in the flower pot, you will run the risk of getting flint-worms, :what: :crackup: also when your wife cuts her finger half off this spring, you'll wished that you remembered to tell her that they are in there...

Back