• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OLD MASKING TAPE REMOVAL?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockthrower

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 1840's English belt pistol here with a strip of old masking tape encircling the walnut butt.

In some areas the tape is still there. In other areas, only the adhesive remains. Both the tape and adhesive are "rock hard."

So as to not harm the old oiled finish on the stock I have tried Ballistol and Mineral Spirits. Neither one seems to be softening or cutting into the tape or adhesive.

Any suggestions?

Don't know the condition or value of your piece but I use wd-40 to remove tape and adhesive residue, even on high end shotguns.

All will work. Soapy water, heat or vegetable oil work. WD-40 will but don't let it soak very long...more like put it on a rag and wipe. The oils are a better option for wood.

O.K. Great ideas and recommendations. Nothing has cut through the hardened adhesive.

What do you think of using the heat from a hair dryer and a solvent soaked patch to get the hardened surface of the adhesive to begin to dissolve?

Just had the bandaged glued to my shoulder from Rotor cuff surgery. Ben on a week and trust me would not pull off. The nurse used some kind of spray a tiny bit and it pulled off like it was not glued.

Someone know what its called??? Maybe that will work As a stock finish is stronger than skin.

Citrus solvent soaked patches and wood toothpicks to scratch through the surface and clean out the checkering WORKED.

I'm going to retract my recommendation for using citrus oil.

What I finally ended up using on some really stubborn adhesive was GOOF OFF. It worked 10x as fast as citrus and did not damage the finish any more than citrus.

After removing all evidence of the tape and adhesive, I applied Old English Dark scratch remover to the stock. You could never tell what I had done. The stock looks beautiful.

Where did you find this "Goof Off" stuff? I have plenty of old tale scraps I'd like to remove from things around the house.

Naphtha is what you want to use. It helps to put it in a small syringe or squeeze bottle with a small opening.

Start at the end of the tape, and dribble on a little at a time. The tape will start to lift quickly. Help it along with the edge of a fine blade, but don't try to pull it off if it not already lifting on it's own. Work your way down the tape, squirt a little on, lift and repeat. Go slow.

The naphtha will evaporate very quickly, and will not harm the stock finish.

Got mine at the local Wallyworld! You know, cheap Chinese nah-nah at all hours! :wink: :rotf:

Back