• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Eyes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I got my cataracts removed and new lenses put in I opted for distance, too. And, like you said, iron sights were useless. I don't have to wear glasses but do if I want to see the front sight. I use 2.50 or 3.00 reading glasses to read and do anything close up. But that didn't work for shooting. I did have a pair of 1.25 that worked pretty well and that's what I'm currently using. While not ideal, it enables me to stay on the paper at 25 yards. :idunno:

I was bummed for a whole following surgery. First gun show I went to, I had 2.0 glasses. Went to look up close at a rifle, I couldn't see it. Have to use 3.0 for fine work. But distance is still the best choice, IMHO. If you get reading, it will be a fixed focal length, meaning you still need glasses for up close.

Absolutely! I did actually find that I can see the sights as well or better with the bifocal on my old glasses. Problem is I have to cant my neck too much to see through them and it causes my neck to hurt afterward. I'm trying to find a way to make them a bit higher when I put them on; that would be a great help.

Has anyone tried the old shooters dot up in the corner of your glasses. I use a spare pair of glasses and keep it mounted all the time . I make the dot about the size of a dime , then I put a 1/16 hole in the middle . Play around with the exact placement but, it's normally way up in the corner of your shooting eye. You look through the thing just like a peep sight. It's leagal in all classes. It really works .You can also play around with hole size as to what ever light your shooting.

Back