• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aiming with one or both eyes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with both eyes open witch one do I put the front sight on? the left ctr. bull or the rite ctr. bull?? we all know that two images come into view!

with both eyes open witch one do I put the front sight on? the left ctr. bull or the rite ctr. bull?? we all know that two images come into view!
I relate it to driving in a drizzle without the wipers on. You have to look through the windshield not at the windshield.

Learned from military rifle team instructors - as I wear glasses - to use both eyes. Yes, the left eye keeps your peripherals undisturbed and also your senses. Blocking the left eye puts strain on your right. And the brain to constantly be correcting. At the time I used a product called Knob-Block. A frame with single lens for the "aiming eye". The other eye left open without lens to maintain sympathetic nervous system integrity. Now many years later I use both eyes whether using iron or optics. Seems natural for me. You need light coming into the non-aiming eye.

That is interesting.
How far a small target can you shoot a rifle thus?
My dad was a WWII veteran and he was a trick shooter so, he trained me on that kind of shooting. ( ie. Splitting playing cards, putting out candle flames etc etc) When I was 9 years old I used to shoot pennies at around 20 to 25 yrds, now days, I don't know, I don't usually pay a lot of attention to groupings, I just like to shoot and have fun, I don't do a lot of what would be considered "long range" shooting but, I know I average about a 2 to 4in grouping at 100/120 yrds give or take on a 21" target depending on what type rifle I'm using and wind velocity. I dont know if thats good or not, like i said, i just like to have fun. If it's not good, feel free to make fun of me, I can take it.

Last edited:
I started out closing my left eye when I was about four, (cap guns n BB guns). Roy Rogers was my idol. Then at thirteen started shooting in matches. The shooting coach taught us to keep both eyes open, but I could not do it without a blinder over my left eye. So all these years I used a blinder of some sort or the other. Last fifteen years or so I just stuck a couple targ dots on the left lense of my shooting glasses. Last year I had to get new glasses but forgot to do the targ dot thing and didn't have any targ dots so just closed my left eye. It felt so natural and relaxing to not have to fight multiple images and I shot some barn burner targets to boot. So I think a shooter should try all manner of shooting and stick with what works best. I close my left eye and I don't care what the experts teach or say about it.

Last edited:
So your vision is getting worse, (like most of as we age) and ya don't wanna wear glasses,, get lasik surgery.
Or just get over yourself, grow up and get glasses.

I started out closing my left eye when I was about four, (cap guns n BB guns). Roy Rogers was my idol. Then at thirteen started shooting in matches. The shooting coach taught us to keep both eyes open, but I could not do it without a blinder over my left eye. So all these years I used a blinder of some sort or the other. Last fifteen years or so I just stuck a couple targ dots on the left lense of my shooting glasses. Last year I had to get new glasses but forgot to do the targ dot thing and didn't have any targ dots so just closed my left eye. It felt so natural and relaxing to not have to fight multiple images and I shot some barn burner targets to boot. So I think a shooter should try all manner of shooting and stick with what works best. I close my left eye and I don't care what the experts teach or say about it.
Thats cool by me. Nice to meet ya 👍

I started off and for a long time instinctively kept both eyes open when shooting. Maybe thirty years ago my vision started going south. Being right eye dominant it stood to reason that's the eye that finally went bad. Surgery on the retina did help some but it's still lousy. I do best when I shoot by sense of smell anyhow.

I aim and shoot with the right eye/shoulder and squint the left eye just to keep a general awareness of depth, etc. In hunting situations I have on occasion had to shoot left handed but that's rare.

I shoot with lefy eye(dominant) open, right eye squinted to completely closed. Just works better for me that way.

I know several right handed shooters who shoot with the left eye using offset sights. I could do that beciuase I gave it a try and a I have a rifle made that way. But shooting left handed = tricky, lol.
austrian percussion schuetzen 3.JPG

Last edited:
Both eyes open for everything. As has been mentioned, you need light, peripheral vision, depth perception, and less eye strain. If you close one eye, you immediately lose half of your field of vision.

You can slightly close or droop the non dominate eye lid. Just not all the way. That will allow light in and preserve depth perception as well as maintaining all the other benefits. :thumb: :cool:

Both eyes open for everything. As has been mentioned, you need light, peripheral vision, depth perception, and less eye strain. If you close one eye, you immediately lose half of your field of vision.

You can slightly close or droop the non dominate eye lid. Just not all the way. That will allow light in and preserve depth perception as well as maintaining all the other benefits. :thumb: :cool:
Yep, just about the same wordage I heard when I was thirteen. Turned out to be BS for me, lol.

Well I just got back from an appointment with the eye doctor And was quite surprised to hear that my vision had degraded to a measly 20-20... I wonder what I used to have because it was much better about two years ago. Never been to an eye doctor before. However this ought to level the playing field a bit when I go out hunting with my buddies

Look at something in your house you can not see clear like a calendar and then lightly clinch your hand and look through the tunnel in your palm and finger like a tube scope.Works petty good. Wear a cap light turned on and pointing at your front sight while aiming.I never thought about closing one eye.

Back