• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OK to heat a tin cup over a fire?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tin is a LOT cheeper than copper. tin is a little more work it will rust but Back Woods Tin has tin that is tin lined no rust :idunno: I have both and both work well .
Phil

Copper seems to be all the rage lately, though it appears that Brass (mostly unlined) was much more common than copper (with a few notable exceptions). As mentioned, tin-plated steel is cheaper (and appears much more common), but requires attention to keep from wearing through the lining and rusting the steel undeneath.

Much depends on your persona, though for the most part, you can't go wrong with proper hot-dipped (not plated) tin-ware.

Yep tin is seeing a sort of "surge" these days. Copper (imho) became the "rage" as the freakin' iron stuff is freakin' heavy!!!! :shocked2:

Now at the time I bought my three copper pots..., the only tin kettle available was what would be called a "medium" size, and I needed stuff that was larger and smaller. Now the tin smiths are putting out stuff in various sizes.

As for my tin kettle, I was told it would rust out in a year..., well if you keep it dry, and apply a little olive oil as you would to an iron pan..., it doesn't rust.

As for the tinning of copper and brass..., I asked a copper smith, and he said folks simply wouldn't buy it..., the "copper or brass will kill you if untinned" myth apparently is known to many non-living history Americans.

LD

As an aside, some very high-quality cookware is made of untinned copper.

It is also quite unlikely that you will ever ingest enough verdegris at one time to give you more than a "tummy ache" and little "green-apple quickstep". Buy it, use it, clean it....

One of my next purchases will be an untinned brass or copper kettle.

Loyalist Dave said:
As long as the copper is tin lined

it must be tinned

Not So !

Folks..., apple butter, burbon, moonshine, and beer are made in untinned, copper vessels, and apple butter is one of the most acidic foods that is cooked in copper.

Copper and brass need only be tinned for folks who do not keep the green tarnish, known as verdigris, off the interior of the cooking vessel. I have two proper brass trade kettles sans tin..., no ill effects. :thumbsup:

Now when it comes to heating items in the fire..., if they are hanging from a bail, they should be fine, but if you set them in the fire, beware of spouts and handles as they are often not protected by the interior liquid. I have a spouted kettle that melted some of the solder last Saturday, but luckily it's solder used more as a sealant, with the spout also having tiny rivets. A tin cup with too much heat on the handle may see that handle come off as well.LD
Well, I just did a Google search for this topic as I have always heard that you should not cook or store acidic foods in un-lined copper. Seems that sugar and fruit cooked in un-lined copper DO NOT react with the copper. Dairy products, tomatoes, and other acidic foods should NOT be used with unlined copper vessels. While not deadly, it can cause an intestinal infection. Never heard of leaving verdigris on the interior surfaces of copper....YUKKKK

So what I get from all of this is,some things are ok with unlined copper and some things not.
So if you want copper why not play it safe and get it lined . Right.
Have fun
Phil

Like most things in this sport it comes down to what YOU like and what is right for YOU :grin: The hole idea is to have FUN :thumbsup:
HAVE FUN!!
Phil

wahkahchim said:
And what I'm getting from this is that tin is cheap and durable with no hazards, so buy tin. :)
Copper and brass are much more durable and no more hazardous than tin. The real hot-dipped tin may or may not be less expensive. It boils down to a matter of PC/HC to me.

I have both. They both work well. I'd get whatever suits your needs. Personally, I don't like the larger, handled containers, with a bale and an attached lid similar to a CW "mucket", but that's just me. I am not an expert on the "style" of the items that should be used.

I am told by several tin smiths that 18th century "tin" was actually rolled iron that was then hot-dipped tinned, and that such isn't found anymore. Anybody know for sure?

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
I am told by several tin smiths that 18th century "tin" was actually rolled iron that was then hot-dipped tinned, and that such isn't found anymore. Anybody know for sure?

LD
You can find it at: http://www.hotdiptin.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back