• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oiling?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 + gun 30 years ZERO RUST STORED ...boiling water with soap..rinse with boiling water...let cool completely...use t/c 1000 plus ...yes there will be a lil red rusty ...then after that bore butter inside out.Solvent around the nipple or pan with nylon brush...NEVERSEIZE the nipple after the solvent brushing the threads and a pipecleaner inside the hole.DONE NEVER had any rust ever at all

Forget the Borebutter and TC 1000 concoctions. A few years back tested in a salt spray chamber and neither performed any better than control samples (mild steel with no oil on them) for rust protection. Pick any of the better performers on the list of products tested in post 32 and you will be ahead in the game.

what has happened to LEHIGH VALLEY LUBE? it is gone every where that I search?

I hit my rlfle barrels with a nice coating of anti rust grease and swab out before I shoot. I attach a chunk of magic eraser sponge to the end of a rod to push the grease into the rifling, this hits the deep spots that a jag and patch cant hit. Never really had big issues with rust. I run a jag down the barrels once a week just to check the health of the barrel.

Grenadier1758, thanks for responding to my query. I will look it up, toot.

Motor oil is a NO NO oil has wax and will put a coating of wax on weapon.
Hi Archer. Noob here. I’ve got a semi hard lube here about 75% beeswax, 20% olive oil, 5% spruce pitch. I’ve used it as a preservative on axe handles for years and love it. Is there a reason not to wipe the exterior of the gun with this? Or inside the bore for that matter.

For what it's worth, about the only bad thing I've heard of about Barricade is, if you live in California, it's impossible to get.

As I understand it, Birchwood Casey, for reasons known only to it, has refused to print the California cancer warning on the container.
Since everything known to mankind causes cancer in California, just about everything in that state has the, "This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm." on it.

Birchwood Casey's refusal to put that on their containers means, you can't buy Barricade in California.

I had an Ol Timer tell me that motor oil was the only thing he ever used ..

He said it was also a good cleaner and used it on the wood as well.

But I would think over time it would dissipate, or break down..

I used Barricade back when it was call Sheath, and had guns in storage for 7 to 8 years without any issues. They were in a dehumidified safe however.

Simply put I fully trust the product.

I had an Ol Timer tell me that motor oil was the only thing he ever used ..

He said it was also a good cleaner and used it on the wood as well.

But I would think over time it would dissipate, or break down..

I used Barricade back when it was call Sheath, and had guns in storage for 7 to 8 years without any issues. They were in a dehumidified safe however.

Simply put I fully trust the product.
Look I get it. Everyone loves their Flintlock to the extent of an Inanimate Pet. I store my Barrels out of the stocks when not in use and it simply is an easy answer to rust prevention. Store them in a rack and clean them when I use them.
Liberal use of motor oil on exterior seems to keep water out of the exterior nooks and crannies. Does not matter when I return home the Barrel gets wiped down and cleaned anyhow. Just another approach to what methods are available

Latest posts

Back